What's new

why does my pointer/curser stick? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
when on web my pointer sticks almost all the time.
i have turned down the hardware accel button so thats not it anything else?

CRyan

Screenwriter
Does it stick completely 'till you reboot or is it just for a second? Could it possibly be a dirty mouse? That can most deffinately make a pointer stick. That has happenned to me several times and it always seems to take me a few hours to figure out that is what it is. Sometimes cheap winmodems with old drivers can cause the same thing.
C. Ryan
------------------
http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp
[Edited last by CRyan on September 27, 2001 at 09:23 PM]

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
it just sticks for a sec it sort a edges its way across instead of smooth across.i have a microsoft trackball mouse so pretty easy to keep clean.
dont know about my winmodem and drivers?
------------------
"who needs padding when you can have quality over quantity? more isn't always better." just my 2 cents on post count padders.-----

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Im not sure if this will help 100%, but check out a program called PS/2 Rate... It sets the refresh rate of your mouse up to 200Hz, so its super smooth...
Try it...

CRyan

Screenwriter
Take NickSo's suggestion. Also, if it is not physically the mouse then there is most likely a resource hog that is causing the problem. Winmodems are one source of this because they rob processing power on the fastest computers. When they kick in they will stop all other computer functions as they "take over" a processor.
You might try cleaning up your startup executables by using msconfig.
C. Ryan
------------------
http://www.elitestoragedesigns.com/RyanOAR.bmp

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I had that problem a few years back too, and its a conflict somewhere.
Make sure that you have all of the newest drivers for everything, but you might start by removing the mouse and reloading it upon a reboot.
Glenn

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, when your mouse sticks for a second and unsticks, it's usually your CPU at 100%
If you have WinNT or 2K, check out the system monitor when it's happening(the monitor stays on top), and you'll probably see that when it ticks 100% that your mouse freezes.
If it's web browsing, it's usually Java or some other script causing the CPU taxing.
Just .02 from one who knows... :)
Sam

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
it's web browsing and were can i get this PS/2 RATE program i'd like to try it. and thanks for the responses.

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Still say it's not a refresh problem, but a CPU issue. Find the offending program that's eating CPU resources(look to all of the programs you have running in the system tray), or upgrade your CPU and you'll be able to enjoy your mouse without stutters.
Sam

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
If it like freezes for like half a second, then i guess the refresh rate of the mouse wont work...
but still its a nifty little app that makes your mouse moove real smooth..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks