Why does my old desktop image keep showing up?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Tim L, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Hopefully someone here has an answer to why when I boot up my computer (XP) does my old desktop image keep coming up- then the image that I have currently set shows after the boot up- it also seems the boot up is hanging longer because of this? its pretty annoying-infact I deleted theimage but it still there every time- any ideas? thanks
    Tim

2. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

It could probably be a number of things I imagine, but here's what I would check.

Go into windows explorer and in the "Tools" menu go to "Folder Options" and then "View". Click the "Show Hidden Files And Folders" button and click ok. Now navigate to this folder: C:Documents and Settings"your user name"Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoft. See if your old file is in there. If it is delete it. If not, then open up Regedit and look for this key: HKEY_CURRENT_USERControl PanelDesktop. This may be the source of the problem. Just look for any conflicts in the data of that key. Whatever file you use it will convert it to a bitmap file named "Wallpaper 1" and place it in that folder I mentioned. Maybe you are having a conflict of file names or locations perhaps. This key should show any conflicts that you may have. I'll leave you to figure them out.

Hope that helps.

3. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

steve, thanks for the help-unfortunatley I did what you said and the file was not in the "microsoft" folder so I ddi go into theregistry ( I must admit I am a novice when it comes to dabbling into my computers registry) I did not notice anything conflicting-but honestly I don't know what exactly I should be looking for- the desktop image was not there as well-boy is this frustrating-especially since it seems to slow down my boot up time. Any other options? thanks
    Tim

4. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Post any settings in that registry key that have to do with wallpaper. You can save some time typing by right-clicking the particular registry keys and choosing the "modify" option and then just copy and paste them into your post. DON'T change any of the settings though. I'm looking for the "Name" and "Data" info.

5. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

okay, this is what I found: hope it makes sense to you-thanks again

converted wallpaper: C:WINDOWSWebWallpaperSpace.jpg

Original wallpaper: C:Documents and SettingsTimLocal SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftWallpaper1.bmp

converted wallpaper last write time: 006e fe 9f 56 22 c4 01

wallpaper: C:Documents and SettingsTimLocal SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftWallpaper1.bmp

wall paper style: 0

6. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Hmm...that looks ok. Could be any number of things I guess. It's something I'd have to see in person to figure out. All I can say now is to completely search the registry and see if anything looks out of sorts. There are lots of other entries for wallpapers. Just use the search function in the registry and keep using the "find next" function until Windows tells you it has finished searching through the registry. Maybe you'll find something.

7. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

yeah, I think the image that the desktop uses at load is the one for "all users", while the one shown when your logged in is what you have set up. I can't remember off the top of my head how to fix the "all users" one though since there isn't a log in for them.

8. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

well what I did was reset my wallpaper to one of the XP ones that came with the computer and rebooted and my old wallpaper image is now gone -go figure and the boot up seems not to hang as much. hopefully when I go to change this desktop image the same thing won't happen again-I test it out- but thanks for your input-still wish I knew why it happened for future reference.
    Tim

9. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Glad to hear it.

Who knows why it happened. Somehow xp was getting confused about your desktop. An OS can be a funny thing at times. It's all just lines of code executed by a piece of hardware with electricity running through it. Sometimes it's something the user has done or added to his computer, and sometimes it happens because that's just the nature of computers. It's somewhat amazing that they work at all. I doubt that anyone will ever design a flawless pc. At least not with the current paradigm anyway.