What's new

Why does my DirecTivo record countles hours of MASH? (1 Viewer)

Luke_Y

Second Unit
Why does my DirecTivo record countless hours of MASH?

I pulled up Now Playing the other day and there were over 25 episodes of MASH. It does that with MASH all the time! We haven't given it a thumbs up, but it will ignore thumbs up programs that are on, recording MASH instead.

Now I hesitate to give MASH a thumbs down because my wife likes to watch it now and then but we don't need 20-30 episodes cued up at a time :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Have you looked at Tivo Suggestions to see if that's where they're coming from? It's possible that someone has set up a season pass or wishlist that is triggering it.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Turn off suggestions, bleah.

Without the structure of a season pass the tivo can record a show like mash 50 times a day since it comes on so many channels.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Without the structure of a season pass the tivo can record a show like mash 50 times a day since it comes on so many channels.
Even with a Season Pass, you can still get multiple showings of the same program. I do a lot of kids shows that air multiple times a day, and Tivo will normally record multiples.

I guess the best way to avoid that is to do a manual, repeat daily recording to record the same channel and time each day. Of course, then if the show changes schedule, your hosed.

Another semi-related topic is when Tivo will NOT record some shows because of the 28 day rule (meaning it will see if a show was previously recorded in the last 28 days, and not record it again).

Thats a pain for kids show that are often repeated within a a given 28 period. The way around that is to tell Tivo to record all showings, including repeats. Then you get back to your original problem; a zillion copies of a particular show.

Tivo works great with shows that air once a week. Its a bit harder when the show is on multiple times per week or per day.

In that case, it pays to ride herd on the To Do list, and nuke what you don't want.

BGL

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
Well, yeah. If it comes on your the channel you pick for your season pass more then once. I meant with a season pass, it'll at least stick to one channel.

The biggest problem is when the listing service can't figure out when something's new or not, like when you set up something to record new eps only on the cartoon network you get everything anyway.

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
My DTivo did that... what I did to solve it (and MASH which I like has 2 thumbs up) is to add a $#^T#$^-load of thumbs for every and any show that I might like or dislike. Heck.. I even went down the spanish language channel hour by hour in the guide and triple down checked ever show that was on. My Tivo is fairly well behaved now... though I wish it'd show a bit more initiative in finding stuff that I havn't heard of before... It will get a few Mash, a few Simpsons, and then a WWE Wrestling even, and Murder she wrote. Just remember that it needs the negative reinforcement along with the positive.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks