Why does my Digital CATV output mono signal thru my VCR?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charlie-B, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Charlie-B

Charlie-B Auditioning

I have a Scientific Atlantic cable TV digital box, routed into my Sony STRDA3ES receiver. I get a great Dolby Digital signal through the system. But when I switch over to the VCR, it outputs the signal in mono? The results are that I can't record network TV shows or cable channels, HBO, etc., in stereo - only in mono?

I have the standard hookups. The VCR audio outs go from the VCR to the receiver in a normal fashion. The cable from the street goes into the decoder box first, etc....

I must be dong something wrong. Can anyone help me with this perplexing problem?

Charlie-B

2. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

How is the VCR connected to the cable box?

M.

3. Charlie-B

Charlie-B Auditioning

M.

The VCR is connected from the Scientific Atlanta cable box "cable out" jack to the VCR "ant. in" jack with coax cable.

Charlie-B

4. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

The digital channels will only be in mono through the RF output since MTS Stereo encoders are a pricey component for something like a cable box. If you want to record from the cable box in stereo you will need to use RCA cables between the two devices.
    On the other hand, the analog channels your cable company provides (probably the first 60 or so) will be in stereo through the RF output, since all the cable box is doing is passing along an analog source that is already stereo encoded.
    -Lyle J.P.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Lyle beat me to it!

In fact, depending on how your VCR operates, you're probably better off scrapping your current RF connection between the cable box and the VCR and replacing it with separate audio (left and right) and video connections.

M.

6. Charlie-B

Charlie-B Auditioning

To Lyle and Michael:

Thanks for your help. You were right. I established a new connection to the inputs on the front of the VCR and it worked.

Charlie-B