Why does my center channel sound "chesty"?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobP, Apr 7, 2002.

1. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

My center channel (Paradigm cc-379)sounds good but it is a bit more "chesty" sounding than the mains. I think its because of the placement being so close to the angled ceiling (See above link), rather than the speaker itself. Can anyone, who knows more about speaker placement than me, confirm this for me? Thanks!

Regards,

Rob

2. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Usually this is due to placement issues/restrictions. Try to isolate the center channel from the tv if possible. Also, if possible, try moving the center channel forward using a slight overhang keeping the front of the center channel slightly in front of the tv edge. Finally, if possible, try to angle your center speaker downwards towards the listening position. If you center channel doesn't have any angling mechanism or cannot reach a sufficient angle, try using something like a magazine or a book to increase the angle.

3. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

I will give that a try thanks Bob.

4. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I second what Bob just wrote. The paradigm centers are built so that they face upwards a bit. If you have it on top of your TV you will definitley need to point it downwards to get it sounding right. One suggestion I have seen is to buy a couple of those rubber door stops and put those underneath the speaker at the back to adjust the angle.

5. RobP

RobP Stunt Coordinator

I pulled the center out a bit and propted up the rear with some cardboard coasters. It definetly helped. I'll have to play around with it some more to get it perfect but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Rob

6. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

My pleasure Rob.

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

You'll also want a rubberized non-skid pad under the front edge.

I use a 12-in rubber-foam computer keyboard wrist pad.