What's new

Why does my center channel sound "chesty"? (1 Viewer)

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
My center channel (Paradigm cc-379)sounds good but it is a bit more "chesty" sounding than the mains. I think its because of the placement being so close to the angled ceiling (See above link), rather than the speaker itself. Can anyone, who knows more about speaker placement than me, confirm this for me? Thanks!

Regards,

Rob

Bob_A

Supporting Actor
Usually this is due to placement issues/restrictions. Try to isolate the center channel from the tv if possible. Also, if possible, try moving the center channel forward using a slight overhang keeping the front of the center channel slightly in front of the tv edge. Finally, if possible, try to angle your center speaker downwards towards the listening position. If you center channel doesn't have any angling mechanism or cannot reach a sufficient angle, try using something like a magazine or a book to increase the angle.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I second what Bob just wrote. The paradigm centers are built so that they face upwards a bit. If you have it on top of your TV you will definitley need to point it downwards to get it sounding right. One suggestion I have seen is to buy a couple of those rubber door stops and put those underneath the speaker at the back to adjust the angle.

RobP

Stunt Coordinator
I pulled the center out a bit and propted up the rear with some cardboard coasters. It definetly helped. I'll have to play around with it some more to get it perfect but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Rob

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
You'll also want a rubberized non-skid pad under the front edge.

I use a 12-in rubber-foam computer keyboard wrist pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.