What's new

Why does it say TMNT is edited on a bunch of sites (1 Viewer)

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I love the TMNT as well, and have all the current releases up to date... I believe they say it is edited because certain recaps are taken off the beginning of the eps to save time/space. Serious plot points are not edited or anything like that, although it would be nice to have the whole thing. With the original TMNT Season 1 release, they were planning on editing out the credit sequences so it would feel like a 1 and a half hour movie. Just my thoughts, someone else may be able to confirm it. www.funimation.com

Ryan

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
It's because Funimation is listed as the distributor. Since they typically release anime DVD's, anything that's English-only is listed as "edited". It really has nothing to do with the content of the discs, just a side-effect of being put out by an anime company.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

It is also true that some of the recaps have been removed on the DVDs. :angry: I don't know why they did it, but it wasn't because they ran out of room. They aren't packing these discs to full capacity.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Oddly enough ever since the huge fiasco over these 'recaps' being removed from Vol. 7's Return to New York pt. 2 and Return to New York 3 and Vol. 8's Search for Splinter pt. 2 all of the rest of the recaps have been retained. Even more troubling is the fact that the VHS copies of Vol. 7 and 8 retain the opening 'recaps' for the multipart episodes. Frankly new editions of these two releases should be done to correct this huge mistake.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
You mean recaps as in when the next episode starts, right before it, it tells you what happen previously?

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Yes, Eric. The little shorts that start-off the episode narrated by one of the central characters.

Ryan

Alex-A

Stunt Coordinator
Ditto. I much prefer the original 1987 series as opposed to this one. I don't care if these follow the comics better, it just doesn't feel right to me.

Joshua Lane

Second Unit

I don't think I'd qualify it as a "huge mistake". A simple omission maybe, but huge mistake would be if a whole episode is missing.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
I don't consider the butchering of an episode to be a simple omission. The opening recaps often included new or altered animation, and gave a great insight to the mindsets of the narrating characters.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I feel the opposite way. The new series seems to have less restrictions (from censors) than the old one did. Toward the end of the old series, they even took Michaelangelo's nunchakus away, for crying out loud!

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
It was right after the fourth season that they stopped being shown or used, if I recall correctly. I never understood the mindset myself. Leo and Raph still had their much deadlier katanas and sais. Of course they're much more difficult to purchase than a set of 'Chucks. Hell, Donny's bo would have caused the most issues in my opinion, since any kid could easily pick up a broomstick or branch and hit someone with it. :p

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

I didn't realize they got rid of the Mike's nunchaku so early. I think it might have had something to do with England. I heard that in England they cut out a scene in "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story" where Bruce used nunchaku.

I don't understand the mindset either. According to this site that sells nunchakus, "Nunchaku are not sold to NY, MA and CA or where prohibited by law." So in some states, you can buy a gun, but not nunchaku.

Back to edited DVDs, the first episode ("Things Change") on the DVD vol. 1 ("Attack of the Mousers") has a few seconds of video replaced with the commercial bumper animation. Right after one of the commercial breaks you see the bumper (as usual), then you see the bumper animation again right after that, but you hear the turtles smashing mousers. (You're supposed to be able to see this as well.) As far as I know they never fixed this DVD, but a fixed version of this episode does appear on the "Michelangelo's Christmas Rescue" DVD.

Travis W.

Second Unit
It's getting harder to find these DVDs in stores. I used to get them at Best Buy ($10.99 each) but they no longer get newer installments. I've been ordering them through Suncoast, I just wish they could find a larger audience.

Artisan needs to get off their bums and release S2 of the original toon.

Beast

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Cameron
Season 2 of the original toon is due out on 4/26, if I recall correctly.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Maybe more people would buy them if they would put more episodes per disc or put them into season sets (and charged reasonable prices, of course).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks