Why does it hurt?! Christmas episode on Invader Zim Vol. 3 *NOT* uncut!

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Matt Czyz, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

According to people who have purchased Vol. 3, "Horrible Holiday Cheer", the infamous Christmas episode (which was promised to be the uncut version and I believe says so on the case itself) is the regular edited version. Of course, Media Blasters' website hasn't been updated since the paleolithic era, but I urge all Zim fans to email them and see what's going on.
    Do not resign yourself to a meaty fate!

2. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

Was an unedited version of the Christmas special ever aired or is it something that Media Blasters said they were doing just for the DVD?

3. Matt Czyz

I don't think it ever aired in North America. I believe it might have aired uncut in some South American countries (which also got to see some episodes that never aired to begin with in the US). This was supposed to be something Media Blasters was behind, to get the uncut version on the DVD instead of the edited version. They said they had it, and the case says it should be uncut:

http://www.roomwithamoose.com/vbulle...4&stc=1%3C/img

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I'm justthisclose to swearing off TV-on-DVD for good. There doesn't seem to be a set put out today that meets either expectations or advertising. Either it's a huge bait-and-switch or it's edited. [​IMG]

5. Joshua Lane

Joshua Lane Second Unit

I believe it was reported somewhere that they (Nickelodeon) couldn't find the "uncut" version of the christmas episode. And given everything that happened to Zim during it's TV run, having one single episode not be uncut is just fine with me. I'll take a 90% uncut set over nothing at all.

6. Jon B NY

Jon B NY Stunt Coordinator

I agree completely with Joshua. 90% is better than nothing at all. At least volume 3 has those sought after season 2 episodes that were never aired. [​IMG]

7. Jeff Kuykendall

Jeff Kuykendall Stunt Coordinator

Someone who works for Nick, and has been working with Media Blasters, posted on the message board at Room with a Moose that he gave Media Blasters the unedited version of the episode. Apparently it's obvious on the commentary track (which I haven't listened to yet) that the folks watching are watching the unedited version. The consensus seems to be that Media Blasters made a mistake. Hopefully they will offer a replacement disc by mail.

Come on, this set features mostly episodes that never aired on TV in the US. I hadn't seen any of these because I didn't download bootlegs, and I've been in Invader ZIM HEAVEN for the last 2 days. This is highly recommended for ZIM fans. And even in edited form, the X-Mas episode is great. [​IMG] Put pressure on Media Blasters and hopefully they will fix their mistake.

8. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

I already bought it, and plan on enjoying it immensely. So one out of several cartoons uncut aint bad [​IMG]

9. Matt Czyz

I was about to post what Jeff said, but then I saw that Jeff already posted it. [​IMG] MB is fully aware of what happened, and are upset about it. There was also some talk in that message board that the uncut episode will be put back in the next printings of the disc. The people at Media Blasters are only human, and I am glad to hear that this was probably just a simple mistake, and not pressure put upon them by Nick (confirmed by someone on the message board that worked on the DVD). I want to commend MB on their Zim DVDs, as they put together something that Nick never would have done by itself. A mistake is a mistake, and I'm not going to hold it against them considering all the good they've done for Zim fans.

10. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Hopefully they'll mark the packaging in some way so we can tell. Like a big sticker on the front that says Featuring the Uncut Christmas Episode! (This time we really, really mean it!)

11. RobertM.Fleming

RobertM.Fleming Stunt Coordinator

Media Blasters should just add the Uncut Version of the Christmas Episode onto the Bonus Disk that is supposed to be released with the Special Ed. Box. That would make everyone happy...since most people who are getting any zim are getting them all and Will be getting the Special box w/ the bonus disk anyway.

now if they would just let us know when this bonus thingy is coming out....

12. Jesse Blough

Jesse Blough Second Unit

Wow this episode is edited? I couldn't tell! What exactly is different from the edited version and the uncut?

And are they going to have an exchange program for the disc?

13. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    My understanding regarding the edit:

The Christmas episode was rushed through production for the holiday season after the suites decided not to air or complete production of the season's remaining episodes. However, Mini-Moose was introduced in one of the cancelled/unaired episodes that was originally intended to air before the Christmas episode. This made the erstwhile subsequent appearance of Mini-Moose in the Christmas episode awkward since his origin wouldn't be known or explained to viewers in North America. Consequently, for North American viewers, they edited the Christmas episode to "explain" the presence of Mini-Moose with the joke that, "Yep, he's been my sidekick the WHOLE time..."

That's it. No deleted scenes of amazing voot chases, no squeedily spooges flying through the air, no missing rampages of doomy-doom-doom... just a single, expository line to maintain the pace of the show by reducing - and humorously acknowledging - the confusion of the viewers who didn't get a chance to see Mini-Moose's first appearance.

I see this as a thoughtful edit, at least with regard to the original airing of the episode. John Doe didn't give its fans even this much consideration.

14. David Galindo

David Galindo Screenwriter

So let me get this straight. The disc is cut, and Media Blasters apologizes, admits the error, and says new discs are on the way.

Why on earth other companies can't follow in MB's footsteps is beyond me. Hooray for MB!

15. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

Alright I have a question.

I've never seen Zim, what is so controversial about the show that has it being edited and cut so much?

16. Matt Czyz

Actually, there are other edits, such as the character "45" being crushed (in the edited version, it cuts just before it occurs), heavy metal guitar music playing behind Zim as he yells OH YEAHHH!!! (why this had to be changed, I have no idea) and there are some other random dialogue changes as well (nothing too drastic). The main problem is that the package art promises the uncut episode, but the edited version remains on the disc. But since MB knows about it, and will replace it, it's all good.

Blu,
    Mainly, Nick tried to market Zim to the under 10 demographic, and the show really isn't for that group. It's pretty dark, there's a lot of yelling and screaming, and it can be pretty disturbing (i.e., the episode "Dark Harvest") As Nick kept trying to get them to tone it down (rather unsuccessfully), a lot of changes and edits were forced upon the creators.

17. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    Thanks, Matt.