What's new

Directors Why Does George Kaplan Hate This Movie Tournament? (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Now this is strange—it looks as though Brook made a post a little after 10, but the last post I can see are two identical ones by George (at 7:39 and 7:40. Sorry George, but I’m only going to count your vote once.

You only get to vote more than once in Chicago and Duval County.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I thought I already posted here but now I see two posts by George. Am I going insane or has the GK Cabal finally won?

All That Heaven Allows {sigh} I keep voting against OUATIA and it keeps winning.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Bwaaa-ha-ha :)

[makes evil laugh to hide the fact that Brook's alter-ego as George Kaplan is starting to come out, with a "Brook" post morphing into a "Kaplan" post] :)

Seriously, I have no idea why Brook's post would disappear, and mine would get duplicated. :confused:

And believe me Lew, in a "hold your nose and vote for the lesser of two evils contest", I have no desire to confer two votes onto any of these films. :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Once Upon a Time in America beats All that Heaven Allows with George and Brook’s double votes canceling each other out.

The second semifinal:

Round 4: Bracket 2:

A Room with a View: I don't care what I see outside. My vision is within. Basically an old-fashioned, British, comedy of manners (with judgmental views of society by author E.M. Forrester) we have repartee, nude bathing, period setting and Italian scenery. Surely there must be something to like and not to hate.

A Room with a View had to reach the semis by beating Thelma and Louise in a play-in round, Titanic, Safe and The Searchers.

vs.

Andrei Rublev
: (no quote, as Rublev is mute for much of the movie) A movie shows us how art transcends life (and most especially the times of Rublev)—and how art and spirituality are connected.

This movie made it by beating The Conformist, Do the Right Thing and Alphaville.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Brook's first post shows up for me. Maybe it was fixed. The database has been funky lately. Plus, the whole forum has been tending to lock up frequently.

BTW, for anyone wishing to pick up {Safe} super cheap, deepdiscountdvd is having a double sale on it right now. It is temporarily marked down to $5.98 plus there is a 20% off sale going on (with coupon code, "supersale" and "dvdtalk" are two of them) which brings it down to $4.78 delivered.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Andrei Rublev beats A Room with a View 2–1

The Finals

Round 5:

Once Upon a Time in America

vs.

Andrei Rublev

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Andrei Rublev

George, if you're keeping stats, mark this one down for "most times I voted against a film that went on to win the tournament"

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Once Upon a Time in America

That's OK Brook. This is by far the most times I've voted in a tourney for best film for films I hate. :)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the tourney Lew. It was an interesting idea, and fun. I particularly enjoyed getting to rant about those films in a sanctioned environment. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks