What's new

why does everyone here buy Toshiba HDTV? (1 Viewer)

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased a Pioneer Elite 510 Pro this last April and would not trade it for the world. I've yet to see a better picture and it is a very impressive looking set. Check it out before you make any purchase.

Jerry

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi ya folks,

Got my 65" X81 a few years ago. I chose the Toshiba over other brands for a number of reasons. Mine are personal to my needs, so yours probably are different. Here are the features that are important to me:

* Non-proprietary interfaces (i.e., component inputs and two sets at that)

* Does not lock to full mode when fed a 480p signal such as a progressive DVD or iScan; this was the ONLY TV then that has this capability (probably still applies for the most part)

* Multiple viewing modes (standard 4:3, three Theater Wide modes (some call these modes Gradual Stretch), and Full mode for anamorphic movies)

* Favorable feedback from present and previous generation owners

* A WEALTH of information already online on how to tweak the TV

* Good Toshiba customer support

* Good support to ISF technicians as reported by techs themselves

* Vast experience by ISF technicians on Toshibas including the TW-series HDTVs

* Good Service/Designer Mode features per ISF technicians

* Availability of technical manuals

* Little or no problems with ghostlines, burn in, convergence, etc.

But ultimately, your choice will be based on your own personal preferences (e.g., TV features, budget, viewing habits, brand loyalty, etc.).

So, do your research on the web. Visit various websites to collect information. Participate in various forums and ask questions. Find owners and ask them how they feel about their TVs. You'd be surprised how candid they can be with their TVs. They will tell you whether they like or don't like their TVs.

Preview the brand/models you like and see for yourself. Just be aware that display models are normally not tuned for a home theater environment. They are set to compete against other brands/models on the display floor. So, their settings are all probably set to max.

Also, if there is a home theater club local to you, ask to preview their sets so you get to appreciate the sets in a home theater environment.

Thanks and good luck.

r,

Errol

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Browsing above I didn't notice this but I would add that the new sets have very good colorimetry as well, with red, green and blue tracking very close to neutral on Avia's color decoder test. Unless you have the ability to independently adjust the color decoder settings this, IMO, is a very important aspect of a set's performance. The alternative to sunburned skin on sets that push red is to turn down the color but at the cost of desaturated greens and blues (both of which are more easily tolerated).

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Forgot to add a very important characteristic .... that it plays well with other video devices such as the STBs, HTPCs, dvd players, transcoders, etc. with little or no problems.

Thanks,

Errol

Luis M

Second Unit
I bought the 65" RCA scenium and I love it. Will I be persecuted? I never liked RCA brand before, but this one is sharp sharp sharp and in HD programming it gives everyone a run for the money.

Brian_J

Second Unit
errol, if Toshiba customer service is so good how come they have not addressed the raster ringing, vertical ghost lines and ghosting problems that go back through several model lines? To me, thats bad policy. And I have yet to find one person, just one, who was able to get their Toshiba set fixed through warranty for these issues...Me included:angry:
Brian

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Brian,

Sorry to hear about your problems with your set.

Personally, I've never had any of those image problems. I however have had great service from Toshiba when there were some initial problems with the set. They were gracious, apologetic and helpful in correcting the problem.

Thanks,

Errol

HughScot

Grip
Different forums seem to have people which are more prone to buy one or the other. However, the fact remains that all things considered the Pioneer Elite threesome (702HD,620HD and 520HD) are the best as every magazine and serious HDTV viewer will confirm. I have the 520HD and it is perfect. Next would be the Sony XBR2 in either 57" or the sixty something version. Don't assume that just because one model is great that other models by the same mfg. are also great. Not true. Good luck.

IMHO

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Luis,
I won't flame ya for getting the Scenium. I saw one in GG, and it looked stunning running an HD feed. It was too big and too expensive for me, or I would have seriously considered one myself.

Bob Sison

Grip
Different forums seem to have people which are more prone to buy one or the other. However, the fact remains that all things considered the Pioneer Elite threesome (702HD,620HD and 520HD) are the best as every magazine and serious HDTV viewer will confirm. I have the 520HD and it is perfect. Next would be the Sony XBR2 in either 57" or the sixty something version. Don't assume that just because one model is great that other models by the same mfg. are also great. Not true. Good luck.
I have the Toshiba 50HX81. To me and a thousand others, it is the best RPTV, NEXT to the Elites. Very few can afford an Elite, that's why. I use the Pioneer DV737 Progressive Scan DVD. Now this to me is the best; it is the Asian version of the Elite DV37.

Sony RPTV? Forget it. They rule the direct views only, IMHO.

I have the 32XBR for my cable viewing, and it has remained as good as the day I bought it, some 8 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.