What's new

why does everyone here buy Toshiba HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Bernard L

Stunt Coordinator
from what I read around this forum... everyone seems to prefer Toshiba!?

why is that? is there something I don't know that makes toshiba better than the rest?

I've been looking around for something 40"-55" widescreen HDTV. Well, not really looking, cuz I just went into the Sony store and those big screen HDTVs got me hooked...

best part is, they're only like $4000 canadian.

is that a good price? what are the prices of toshiba HDTV and how would these 2 brands compare?

Bernard L

Stunt Coordinator
one more thing. Toshibas run at 540p/1080i

sony runs at 480p/1080i

from what I remember, don't progressive scan run at 480? would there be any difference with the 540?

and it seems only sony has DRC (digital reality creation). It sounds cool, but what is it? my friend told me its a resolution higher than HDTV?!!?

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Not everyone here prefers the Toshiba's. There are many Mitsubishi owners here as well (I have a 65807). The primary reason I didn't go with Toshiba was due to the narrow plastic cabinet. I wanted something more "furniture looking" and substantial, with room on top for my wife's nik-naks.
That said, the Toshiba's have a very good looking picture. Out of the box and un-tweaked they probably look better than the Mits. Tweaked is another matter!
I don't know of anyone that owns one of the big sony's. You might want to check over at the Home Theater Spot's Sony forum for a better feel of how they perform.
Good luck!
Pete

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I agree. It seems like a majority of widescreen HDTV owners here are big Toshiba fans. I like the Toshiba's, they look pretty good. I prefer Mitsubhishi's though. With some simple (and complex) tweaks, I think that you'll get the best picture for the money for DVD's and HD broadcasts. I will admit that the line doubler for standard programming is lacking compared to other comparitive priced TVs.

But the benefits of being able to tweak the Mits to a picture level higher than the rest is what prompted me to get it over the Toshiba.

That and the promise module.....

Matt

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
and it seems only sony has DRC (digital reality creation).
The DRC by sony is notorious for making any video signal that is not as perfect as DVD to look very poor (Cable, poor satellite signals, VHS, etc).
Toshiba has ISDCPro (Panasonics do too), which uses Interpolation (digitally 'predicting' the missing video lines to prevent any noise/artifacts in upconverting). This technology will make Cable, satellite, VHS fairly decent.
Ever wonder why the SONY STORE never shows off its TV's using Cable/DSS but only 'SONY DEMO' DVDs?
More on Interpolation

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I have a Panasonic 56" HDTV ready set and i love it. I looked at the Toshiba's and Mits but thought the Panny was just as good and at the time it was about$500 less than the other 2. I am totally happy with my Panasonic.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I am the pickiest person in the world when it comes to video. I prefer an interlaced picture to a progressive picture that has done some poor line doubling. Even the sharpest and highest resolution progressive picture looks like crap in my eyes when it has gone through lousy line doubling when compared to a 100 % picture from interlaced. It seems as though the image actually looks like its mushy or fuzzy. So far the best picture I have seen in HDTV DVD is a Pioneer Prog scan DVD player and the HUGE Pioneer HDTV's ala RPTV. Toshiba comes next, followed by the horrible line doubling I have seen by Panasonic and Sony. Oddly, I did see an amazing cable picture on a Sony that the salesperson said was Digital Reality Creation.

Is there anyone else out there who can't stand the loss of picture information that is seen when there is line-doubling or interpolating? Am I wrong about data bring lost? It looks like crap. Sony, some Panasonic and Toshiba. I admit, of the ones out there, Toshiba seems better.

Are there any HDTV's that will broadcast interlaced as interlaced and not line-double or interpolate ala DRC style???

mctague

Stunt Coordinator
My wife bought me a Pioneer Elite since I bought her the ring. :) No Tosh big screen around here.............

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
I bought Toshiba TW40x81 2 years ago, in December 1999. Price was a winning point then - it was one of a very few units in this price range. I was looking at relatively thin unit, and small Tosh fitted the bill.

Is it the best picture ? Who knows. It was and is much better than what I was using before, and gave us a lot of pleasure in last 2 years.

On the agenda for next 24 months is a LCD or DILA projector + good screen. We are moving to 70-80 inch screen once prices will fall below 4k per decent unit.

Would I buy Tosh once again ? Sure, that is great gear for starters.

_zjt

Bernard L

Stunt Coordinator
hmmm....

haven't considered any mitsubishi HDTVs yet.

even worse, I haven't seem them around in Ontario.

I do like Mitsubishi video components... in fact, I'm a big mitsu fan when it comes to computer monitors... SIMPLY TOP NOTCH (and tres expensive)!!!

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
The Toshibas didn't lock into full in progressive mode. They didn't have compatibility problems with progressive scan DVD players. They were mostly reliable. It was easy to access the service menus. SVM was easily disabled. It was very easy to remove the shiny protective screen. And the price was right. Not to mention that they had three sizes that met people's needs.

Shanthi

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Sony 57in Widescreen and I love it. I diagree with some of the comments made on DRC. I have seen Toshiba's and Mist and IMHO Sony did a very job in DCR.

my 2 cents....

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Toshiba was marketing 16/9 rptvs (non-hd but capable of properly displaying anamorphic dvd) for years before the other mfgs, so they got a head start as far as developing a user base among home theater enthusiasts. These users liked and recommended their sets to others, so there's a snowball effect going. Toshibas also are usually a bit cheaper than other brands. This along with their HT-friendliness, lack of compatibility issues, and overall good performance makes them good bang for the buck.
Also, this forum tends to have "pet" brands and models--Denon receivers, Panasonic RP56 & 91 dvd players, Paradigm speakers, SVS subs, etc. Toshiba is the "pet" rptv.
There are also a lot of Canadians here, and Mitsubishi (Toshiba's main rival until recently in widescreen rptvs) isn't sold in Canada.
Hitachi makes a very good set, but is not as tweaker friendly as Toshiba as most adjustments have in the past can't be done via remote in a service menu but required adjusting trimpots inside the set. This is changing.
I wish those who keep knocking Sony's DRC would go look at the new version in their current HS20-30 and HW-40 models. It is much improved and imho at least as good as anything short of a Pioneer Elite. I share thier contempt for the old DRC in the HS10 and older sets--blurry at best.
Sony has been late getting on the 16/9 rptv bandwagon, but their new models are (again in my opinion as a satisfied HW40 owner who has had other brands in my home and done extensive research and shopping of current models) fully competitive in quality with Toshiba, Mitsubishi, Hitachi, and non-elite Pioneer and offer about the best out of the box performance in the business.
I share a previous poster's recommendation that you check out Home Theater Spot's separate forums for each brand you're considering. The separate forum per brand idea is one Ron and Parker are considering here, and I think it's a good idea. There's some cheerleading of course, but also a lot of wart revelation that can occur when posters feel they are among their own and not constantly defending thier choices.

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
I don't have an HDTV and probably won't get one soon unless someone thoroughly convinces me to get an HDTV set. I'm a fan of the Pioneer Elites. I'm think they're the best. People like to argue that the improvement is not worth the money and there are even some who argue that the Elites don't even look better. But there's really no comparison IMO the image is so much better on the Elites.

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
The Elite line seems to be the standard by which all other are measured, but also a major jump in price. I 've seen the Pioneer Elites, and I must say thay are VERY nice looking. $1000 to $1500 nicer looking than others in that size range.... I personally don't think so. I've heard that the Mits and Toshiba's can be ISF tweaked to achieve a picture equal to if not better than a Pioneer Elite.

Truely its personal preference. You ned to check out these at local dealers and decide which one is for you.

Matt

Howard_S

Supporting Actor
Ya I too think the Toshiba and Panasonic HDTVs are a great value compared to the Elites. But the Elites are definately a step up. I agree that it does come down to personal tastes but in this case not personal taste in what looks better but personal tastes in how they perceive value. I can't imagine anyone looking at the Toshiba HDTV and thinking it gives a better picture than the Elites and not be lying to themselves.

Bernard L

Stunt Coordinator
wow... all this stuff is getting pretty complicated... especially that link to HTspot with the "ghosting and ringing" effects occuring on these projection TVs. To think you're paying like $5000 for a picture that's less perfect than a $1000 normal TV.

It's really making me rethink this...

well, staying away from the brandname battle, here's a question.

would you think these HDTVs will improve dramatically within the next 2 years? I'm a person who's willing to wait for quality components. I'm especially focusing on the technology in terms of resolving the ghosting, or enhanced DRC, etc.

I'm not really familiar with all this stuff and just wanted to know if this HDTV technology is still in its infancy, or whether it's reaching a peak.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Chis PC

Is there anyone else out there who can't stand the loss of picture information that is seen when there is line-doubling or interpolating?
After 'raving' about the first & second generation line doublers, on cheap outboard units,TV's, & DVD's, the press is now 'saying' good, but not great to the third & fourth gen.! Of coarse the units are not getting worst, just the bar keeps getting raised on what is or is not a great picture.

And, yes, their conplaining about a "soft" picture with loss of detail.

J

John Morris

Toshiba is available everywhere and therefore you can get alot of value for your money. I think that their 57HX81 is one of the best values for your money, as long as you get one that arrives in good shape.

I think that the Pioneer X20 Elites are the best looking sets with the best performance but you are gonna pay for that performance and looks. The Mitsu Diamonds, the new ones, are also nice performers but once again, they are costly and if buying from authorized dealers, price fixed.

That led me to the set that I bought, the Pioneer 643HD5. IMO, it provides almost the performance of the Elites in a nice no frills cabinet for half the cost of an Elite. I paid $3700 delivered from an authorized dealer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.