What's new

Why does everyone dump on 'OSCAR'? It's pretty darn funny IMO! (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I've always heard how Sly's comedies sucked, and i'll admit that 'Stop: or my mom will shoot!' is pretty bad, but i've also heard that nobody likes 'Oscar', and for the life of me I don't understand why.

I just saw it for the first time today and found it to be really funny and entertaining! And here I thought it was going to really suck based on what i've heard over the years. The cast was really right on in this movie, especially Sly, who turns in a wonderfully comic performance IMO. Peter Riegert was also funny as was (GASP!) Chazz Palmentari.

It just goes to show that you can't always listen to what everyone else says, or what the popular opinion is about a movie. Sometimes you just have to see for yourself.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Hey John! Thanks for keeping me company!! I thought I was the only person that liked Oscar!

Al_S

Second Unit
Oscar is a fantastic movie. I think it's funny and very well acted. Include me on the list of big fans.:emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
John-
I liked it too. :b
Back when I was a student at Temple U., there were several "sneak previews" of various flicks and Oscar was one of 'em. I was stunned to find myself enjoying it...but then again I'm a big fan of loud, frantic slapstick - like the stuff in Noises Off!, Scavenger Hunt and Greedy.
I haven't seen Oscar since then, but I still remember it fondly - especially for its truly eclectic cast. Perhaps I should seek this one out and see it fresh - or perhaps I should just let fond memories remain untouched. :)

John Stone

Supporting Actor
"Oscar" is very underrated, IMO. I'm pleased that there are others out there who appreciate this very funny film. :)
"You're a veritable treasure-trove of linguistic anomalies!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks