What's new

Why does every zipper have YKK on it? (1 Viewer)

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
I could swear there was a thread asking this same question, but I couldn't find it.

Anyway, does it have something to do with a patent? Wouldn't this patent have run-out already?
Is there a zipper-puller-monopoly?

So many questions, so little time on this earth...:confused: :D

MikeM

Screenwriter
Yup. When I was living in Toyama, Japan, (YKK's home base,) people in those parts were very proud of their zippers. :D

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Toyama may be YKK's home base but YKK is a huge international corporation. Their biggest factory, in fact the world's largest zipper factory, is in the third world country of Maconga where labor is cheap. (Inside joke for those who know where Maconga really is and for those unfortunate enough to live there.)

YKK also makes a lot of the zippers that don't have YKK on them, for example Levi's.

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
In high school I used to always joke about buying stock in YKK being a brilliant investment because if the stock went down it would zip right back up.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
you liE! on the jacket im wearing the zipper says banana republic, so it's not EVERY zipper!

karmasutra

Auditioning
Real Name
earl
[COLOR= black]Finally I found a forum about this YKK zipper, and I'm disappointed. I saw sometimes on middle expensive branded garment like Matinique, Massimo Dutti, River Woods and more that they use YKK zipper but then I saw also this zipper YKK on cheaper garment like H&M and on 1 euro market clothing. How this is possible on expensive branded garment they use the same materials as the h&m.[/COLOR]

JoeCool6972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Turner
karmasutra said:
[COLOR= black]Finally I found a forum about this YKK zipper, and I'm disappointed. I saw sometimes on middle expensive branded garment like Matinique, Massimo Dutti, River Woods and more that they use YKK zipper but then I saw also this zipper YKK on cheaper garment like H&M and on 1 euro market clothing. How this is possible on expensive branded garment they use the same materials as the h&m.[/COLOR]
Because those expensive overpriced clothes are no different than "cheap" clothes, made in a sweatshop in a third world country out of same cheap materials.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
YKK makes very good zippers. Those three letters are your guaranty of performance in zipperdom.

The economics of mass production, as applied to those little pulls & teeth, are such that there isn't a "high-end" substitute. YKK zippers don't jam, or separate, or any of those other things off-brand ones do (I had the no-brand pull on a suitcase zipper just disintegrate once). It's just one of those things. I don't buy products with non-YKK zippers if I can help it.

emptybox

Auditioning
Real Name
Marife
Originally Posted by karmasutra

Simple, expensive brands are overpriced/are priced by their name...

but if it makes you feel any better ykk have wide variety of zippers...

from ordinary to gold-platted...

so just think that they used more expensive zippers than those in 1 euro shops.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks