What's new

Why does Eric Bana keep getting work in Hollywood? (1 Viewer)

Katre

Auditioning
Because i watched Hulk a little while ago, i figured i'd see his imdb movie listing, and much to my surprise, there are two up-coming movies with him, one directed by none other than Curtis Hanson, and the other by Steven Spielberg. I mean geez! This guy can't act worth shit judging by Black Hawk Down and Hulk, so why my god WHY do talented people keep hiring him?!? Seriously, are people in Hollywood really that blind? God, he's worse than Orlando Bloom in the acting department, and i still see his name mentioned alongside so many talented actors and directors. Peolple have truly gone nuts, and i KNOW i must not be the only one on this?

George See

Second Unit
I try not to judge actors based upon their roles in big budget action pictures. Look at Natalie Portman and Hayden Christenson, if all you've seen is star wars you'd think they weren't very good. But if you watch garden state or life as a house you'll have a completly different opinion.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman are indeed very good actors. But you won't be able to tell that from their two Star Wars films.

As to Eric Bana, I wouldn't necessarily say, he "can't act worth shit". Based on what I have seen so far, he does have potential and needs just the right role to breakthrough. I agree with George See. Look at Colin Farrel. He really didn't shine in Minority Report (Alexander, I haven't seen) but he's great in smaller films.

As to pretty face Orlando Bloom, there is a difference being a hearthrob (i.e. once Leonardo DiCaprio and Brad Pitt) and one that savors being a hearthrob. Right now, I perceive him in the latter category - a position the other two actors I mentioned never got into. Mr. Bloom is supposed to be good in Haven, which I still have yet to see. But for now, I still have yet to see something substantial from Bloom.

~Edwin

Katre

Auditioning
But i'm not talking about Natalie portman or Colin Farrell or Hayden Christensen, am i?
I still stand by my opinion about Eric Bana. And no, i haven't seen Chopper, i doubt it's gonna change anything though. I'm not rushing out to see it anyway, i think i've seen enough of Mr. Bana and his acting abilities.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Well...good for you. Your loss.

He is indeed very good in Chopper and the best thing about Troy.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Besides, judging an actor based on two acting jobs, one a very minor role while the other a comic book character, is not sufficient to make a general conclusion. Obviously, Steven Spielberg saw something in him enough to cast him in his film.

But so far, you're the only one. ;)

~Edwin

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member

So, someone recommends to you a film where Eric Bana really stands out and you refuse to even consider watching it. If you didn't start this thread to be enlightened, then what else is the purpose of it other than to bash an actor?

~Edwin

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Right. What's the purpose of this inflammatory thread if the original poster is resistant to other peoples recommendation that he see more work of the actor being trashed?

Many actors started weakly and became great later. I for one like Eric Bana. He was very good in Black Hawk Down and as mentioned gave the best performance in Troy.

These great directors obviously see something in him that you don't. No offense, but I trust their judgement more than yours.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
I've only seen him in Troy and as previously stated, he delivered the best performance in the film. Again, I've only seen him in Troy - not a single interview on the press juncket for his films either. I am a director and based on his performance in Troy I would certainly consider him. There is something there - something working behind his eyes; he listens to the other actors in his scenes. He needs the right role (also as stated earlier - I got to this thread a bit late it seems!).

And lastly, as stated earlier (again): Katre, it is simply ridiculous for you to start a thread and have suggestions thrown at you that could change your mind about an actor only to refuse it. It is of course your right, but you come off in such a situation as narrow-minded.

On the positive side of things, I agree that Nat and Hayden are both excellent younger actors and I look forward to anything they are in (except the given Star Wars films - see my posts in the Star Wars ROTS thread for my thoughts there.)

Cheers,

Jason

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Of all his films, Chopper is the one you should see. He is fantastic in this film and it is probably the one that got him attention from Hollywood in the first place.

Having said that we can all take a dislike to certain actors no matter what they are in. Now if you were to start a similar thread on Freddie Prinze Jr... :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
You won't be able to convince my wife that Eric Bana shouldn't work in Hollywood. For her, he was the best thing about Troy, and she wasn't talking about his acting. ;) :b

Actually, so far I think he's a solid actor. Nothing spectacular yet, but nothing cringeworthy. I think he did a fine job in Troy.

Jason

ToddP

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure what he did wrong in Black Hawk Down. Personally his performance in that movie (a very good movie) didn't stand out one way or the other. And as big of a disappointment as Troy was, Bana was indeed one of the bright spots. And though I don't think it's fair to make a judgment on two films, I have made a judgment after seeing two posts from a particular poster. :D

And I do think I will look into Chopper after seeing the recommendations here.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
His Southern accent in Black Hawk Down was quite unconvincing, but in spite of that, I still thought he did a good job in the role. He was believable, even if his accent wasn't. :D

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Yeah. I thought he did great in BHD despite his accent and small role. He did have enough presence for me to remember him as the guy on the bike with sunglasses from the beginning of the film.

I also think he did a good job with Hulk. Nothing struck me as bad except for some of the dialogue he had to say. Stuff like "It was like being born, coming up for air, my heart pounding, BOOM! BOOM!" The line itself is fine, but "BOOM! BOOM!?" Who talks like that?! :D

He was also excellent in Troy.

dannyCraigs

Agent
Lay off Bana. Hulk was badly made, I don't think any blame for that film being a lemon should be put on Bana. Choose a more worthy target like the very wooden Edward Norton. Or Ben Affleck.

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
bana is a good actor.bloom cant get out of period pieces to know if he is a good actor.affleck is lifeless not wooden.hayden is wooden he's the reason ep.2 had problems.

Users who are viewing this thread