Why does CABLE audio stink?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I don't know which forum to dump this in so...

Why does the sound seem so crappy on my TNN, USA, and TBS on my cable TV? When watching a movie (in regular stereo.. no surround) why is the music so much louder than the dialog? These 3 channels seem the worst. Is it some sort of doctored surround feed I am hearing? Or does it lose something in the translation between satellites? Or does my cable provider suck? (well, that last question is a no brainer)

And what is with commercials on USA network being so damn loud! I am constantly adjusting the volume on my TV watching these channels. Grr.

2. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, i have sattelite, and my reviever outputs in RF coax, or Composite with RCA L/R Analog audio.

The difference between the RCA audio connections and the RF connectinons are HUGE. The RF is much more muffled and less dynamic, whereas RCA is clean and clear.

I think its because cable (which uses the Coaxial cable to carry both stereo channels of audio and video) audio has to squeeze everything through one 75ohm cable, whereas in RCA, each channel iscarried on a cable by itself.

4. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

It's probably a combination of a few things:

1. What sort of audio junk is TBS/USA putting out for cable companies to pick up?

2. How is your cable company getting it?

3. What are they doing with it when they do?

I hear the same sort of thing on these channels on my cable (TWC). I'm inclined to think that the signal being sent out is too high, because it sounds to me like the type of distortion you get from an overdriven amp. Last night, watching TNT, the audio sounded like a poorly done 128kbps MP3- that tinny, ringy, whispy that ruins the sibilance.

I don't think the cable companies have much to do with it, as I heard the same thing on Dish Network when I had it (switched 2 months ago). That superstation out of NYC was the WORST for this!

Todd