What's new

Directors Why do you watch movies? (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
To laugh and have fun (Undercover Brother), to laugh and be touched (Groundhog Day), to watch a fascinating story take place and identify with some of the characters (Magnolia), to see a fascinating commentary on real-life issues (Traffic), etc.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Excellent! There are some people here who don't hate Magnolia.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It's my favorite movie right under Traffic. I love it for the powerful stories. I don't understand the raining frogs but I don't care. :)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member

Ah, now I might understand the key to liking Magnolia: Don't try to understand the raining frogs and don't care that you don't understand!

:wink:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
George, I'm telling you. Stop posting under Rob's account!!

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
"I think my answers are pretty simple. The main reason
that I watch films is escapism- forget life for a couple
of hours. I am an avid collector of DVDs and have a decent home theater because movie watching is my #1 hobby."

This pretty much sums it up for me too. It's funny because my wife (and most people I know really) just think of watching a movie as something to do the same way you take a walk or work in the garden. It's just something to do. She loves to watch movies with me, but doesn't watch any on her own.

To me movies are so much more. I can hang out with gangsters, detectives, shark hunters, jet pilots, firefighters, doctors, and Batman. I sometimes think I should have been a doctor, but then I think "No, you just want to be a doctor in a movie". The same way I want to be Superman or Maverick or the Terminator some days. I can be those things in the movies. I can ride throught he desert with Lawrence or I can go to the bottom of the sea with Captain Nemo. I can be enveloped in a new world like the Tennenbaum's New York or Amelie's Paris. I can get in big trouble with Corey Haim in "License to Drive" just to have everything work out in the end. I can watch other flicks that aren't as hopeful and feel really positive about my life. Dude, I can be a Ghostbuster!

I like all kinds of genres I like foreign films and silents (you can check out my DVDs in my sig). I like a lot of films other people don't. Film is very personal to me in that way. Sure I love "The Godfather" and "Citizen Kane" but I also love "House of 1000 Corpses" and "Van Wilder" (sue me). All these films take me different places and make me feel different things. I can laugh, cry, be scared, be sad, be pissed, and be amazed. Movies are just that powerful.

Enough typing. I'm going to watch a movie!

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'm emotionally disabled and I have high-functioning autism. Movies take me away from the problems of my life.

I think my feelings can best be described by the song "A Ticket To Dream", music by Marvin Hamlisch and lyrics by Marilyn and Alan Bergman (I'm 22 years old and I know who these people are...SHIT!).

Anyway, you'll know this song better as the theme to the first AFI's 100 Years, 100... special, and Hamlisch's melody still plays under the list of celebrity commentators at the beginning of each special.

Enough talking: Here's the lyrics:

"All I need is one ticket to leave the world outside,
And in the dark, I wait to take a magic carpet ride.

The curtains part, the dream begins, and all at once you're swept away.

The world is wider, the seas are even and you can choose the part you play.

The music starts, you hold your breath, the scene unfolds and there you are.

In the arms of someone on a golden shore...The moment's yours' and you're the star.

You're slaying dragons, scaling mountains, finding love in the afternoon.

Tossing coins in a fountain, jumping from a train, dancing in the rain, even walking on the moon.

Though few may know the dream by heart, you'll come back again and again.

To the magic place where dreams come true. Where bluebirds fly and rainbows bend and you never want the dream to end".

That song explains why I like movies more than I ever could on my own.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Oy, I just teared up writing that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks