What's new

Why do you like BATMAN RETURNS??? (1 Viewer)

Britton

Screenwriter
Batman was Tim Burton's attempt to make a mainstream film whereas Returns was pure Tim Burton. So I definitely like and respect Returns more than any of the other 4 Burton/Schumacher ones. I've said this on other boards and other threads, but I think of Returns as a fairy tale about misfits that happens to use the names of the Batman comic book characters rather than a movie adaptation of the comic book (an area where all the first 4 movies failed).

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
My original opinion was that this was a decent movie but nearly unwatchable due to the Penguin's grotesqueness.

After buying the Anthology, my opinion has changed. I really enjoyed this movie even more than the first film. You can see Burton really developing his style with Edward Scissorhands and bringing it to this film. It's got a wonderful look and design to it and that aspect really improved upon the first film's. And though it's very dark, it's got a nice whimsical quality about it. The batsuit looks terrific (a bit stiff, but way better than the first one), Catwoman is great, and though the Penguin still seems to be vile and disgusting, I can accept it more.

Still, I don't agree with Burton/Keaton's views that Bruce is something of a recluse and an eccentric (spends all his time watching crappy TV and looking out the window for the Bat signal). They don't even mention Wayne Enterprise in the first two movies! You have to assume he inherited all his money from his doctor father.

Anyway, I posted here to ask a question about the ending.

When Max Schreck is at the Penguin's lair, he's confronted by Catwoman. She says she wants his blood and he says he already gave it at the office. I don't recall them meeting earlier in the film and Max doesn't find out that Selina is Catwoman until later in the scene, so what is he referring to?

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

I think they adequately addressed that based on his high standing in the community. Like (despite being absent) his attendance at D.A. Harvey Dent's press conference in the original, and his dealing with Max and the Mayor about the power plant in Returns. I don't think he would be a part of that if he were just some rich guy.

About your question, I believe Max was just being a smart ass, and meant the comment in a literal sense (that he had donated blood).

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

It's somewhat common for businesses to have a mobile "blood mobile" come so that the employees can give blood during their work hours. He might say "I already gave at the office" to anyone, not just someone who happens to work at his office.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Alright, I just thought Max was referring to a scene that I missed. :)

Soah

Agent
Until I watched the SE recently, I didn't even remember the penguin being such a horndog

And Christopher Walken says "poontang" lol
Couldn't believe my ears :)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the novelization address the question about the blood from catwoman to shrek..

JACOB

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks