Why do (ws) haters buy dvd?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by bill lopez, Oct 17, 2001.

1. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

With BlockBuster not stocking up on widescreen MUMMY RETURNS
    dvds and some retailers not selling widescreen dvds it begs me to ask. Why are these people buying dvds? Why not stick with VHS tapes? Is it to say I own a dvd player? If you can't understand why widescreen for this dvd medium then stick with VHS. Can some full screen lover tell us why you bought a dvd player? I don't recall this problem with laserdiscs and now I know it must have been that movies cost $40 to $100 a disc. Which ment true movie lovers bought it.

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    ibid......
    ------------------
    Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
    AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I doubt if J6P really buys dvds because of the better picture and sound. It's more likely that he buys them because they're the new "cool" thing. Lousy bandwagon-jumpers! If you don't like widescreen, stick to VHS you dullards! Grumble, grumble... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  5. Scott Shanks

Scott Shanks Second Unit

Scott Shanks
    What is with this attitude toward people who misguidedly like P&S. Why do they buy DVD's? The same reason everyone here buys DVD's, except HTFers like the widescreen presentation and alot of other people prefer P&S. Don't be so superior to think that "J6P" doesn't buy DVD's to get a better picture and sound - that is very misguided. Instead of deriding these people, you should try to convert them, educate them.
    Also, I still believe widescreen is here to stay - long term. There may be some early resistance as the masses jump on the DVD bandwagon. DVD has only been a mainstream product for less than 2 years. People's viewing habits have been engrained in them for all of their life. It's just going to take some time.

6. Charlie Essmeier

Charlie Essmeier Stunt Coordinator

This problem did exist with laserdisc. Until the mid 1990's most titles were full frame/pan and scan. Then the studios started issuing titles in both formats. One had to be careful to avoid accidentally buying the wrong version, which was easy to do since some studios (Warner comes to mind) tended to hide the word "widescreen" in some obscure place on the cover. Later, they started issuing widescreen only, which was fine because LD had pretty much become a high end medium, anyway.
    The problem with DVD is that it has been marketed to the public as a replacement for VHS. VHS watchers are expecting pretty much what they're used to, and they're complaining that they're not getting what they're used to. The studios are giving it to them. Who cares? DVD was rendered obsolete three years ago by the introduction of HDTV, and after watching that, DVD might as well be VHS.
    Bring on high definition discs, and then we can stop pretending to have home theater.
    Charlie

7. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

8. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Its very simple. Convenience.
    How many of you STILL use cassette tapes or LPs to listen to music? (Not to dispute some audiophiles prefs for vinyl. [​IMG]) Way back we switched to CDs for what we perceive as higher quality sound but a bunch of other things. They don't scratch easily or go bad like magnetic tape does. They take less room. They last longer. They are easier to deal with (no FF or REW to deal with).
    I think its just a natural progression for J6P.
    Just imagine the look of confusion on J6P on that day in the future when he brings home his new 16:9 TV and pops in his favorite movie ever, Mummy Returns. J6P goes into his local Best Buy freaking out that his montor is defective because it has big black spots on the sides!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Patrick Larkin
    Kubrick Multimedia Film Guide
    "Something About the Duality of Man"
    [Edited last by Patrick Larkin on October 18, 2001 at 08:02 AM]

9. Tom Brennan

Tom Brennan Screenwriter

10. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Widescreen is not a "DVD" feature -- you can have widescreen videotapes too. To paraphrase others: because DVD is clearly better than VHS, even to the layest of laymen.
    - No rewinding needed
    - No fast-forwarding needed
    - Obviously better picture
    - Often obviously better sound
    - Players also play CDs making it an obvious upgrade choice
    - Marketing!
    - Marketing!
    - Marketing! (these are being pushed at the consumer. When was the last time you saw an ad for a VCR?)
    - DVD drives in computer further promote the technology
    - Prices not much more than VCRs
    - Friends, family, neighbors touting the virtues of DVD
    DVD is the successor to VHS -- it was developed for and is now marketed to the common consumer. For film enthusiasts, DVDs have the added benefit of generally presenting the movie in OAR (which does not necessarily imply "widescreen").

12. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

A great question, but they don't really hate WS. They just don't like the black bars. Yeah, I know that's a stupid difference, but even if they all had WS sets they'd still be screaming.
    Yes, we do that too, but we're pro WS and they are pro P&S, even if they don't realize it.
    I just had the thought that they could really help us, and in turn, we could help them.
    For years we've been complaining about no Star War, Indy, BTTF and a few others coming out. Gee, talk about getting a couple of sigs.
    A studio getting 20k sigs is sort of ok, but 20 million? If we could get this started they would embrace us and that would be the best time to introduce them to WS.
    Crazy?
    Glenn

13. Bill Eberhardt

Bill Eberhardt Stunt Coordinator

Let me take a guess - fullscreen looks better on smaller TV sets? Maybe some folks don't have the proper setup to fully enjoy a widescreen presentation.
    I didn't get into DVDs until I purchased a wide screen TV. All my DVDs are OAR but before that I was happy with my P&S video tapes. I have Jaws on widescreen VHS but it looked terrible on my 27" TV and I never bought another widescreen tape.
    I know it is heresy to say it here, but I still don't mind putting in a VHS tape on my smaller TVs and having it in the background when I'm doing something else like exercising. But it's DVD exclusively in the home theater.

14. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

Bill wrote:
    "Let me take a guess - fullscreen looks better on smaller TV sets? Maybe some folks don't have the proper setup to fully enjoy a widescreen presentation.
    I didn't get into DVDs until I purchased a wide screen TV. All my DVDs are OAR but before that I was happy with my P&S video tapes. I have Jaws on widescreen VHS but it looked terrible on my 27" TV and I never bought another widescreen tape."
    Me:
    The "fullscreen" version might look better - the portion of the movie you get, that is. To "fully enjoy a widescreen presentation" one should of course have a great home theater, but on the other hand it's hard to fully enjoy (at least some) movies at all in a P&S version - given that you do understand the difference.
    I have a 29" 4:3 TV, and even though I'd like to get something bigger and better some day, I really don't think of it as too small.
    Believe it or not, if it weren't for the internet, I wouldn't have known that some people have a "problem with black bars". My impression MIGHT be wrong, but it's nevertheless my strong impression that there isn't much of a problem with the public complaining about "black bars" here in Europe. Running WS movies on the air in OAR with black bars has been quite common here for years, even long before 16:9 TV sets became an option.
    I understand this has not been that common in the US, so quite a lot of people will take more time to adjust, but MY common sense (yours might not) tells me that people will learn to live with it eventually.
    I've never been to the US and probably don't know all that much about American society, but I must say I find it hard to believe that the industry would actually go backwards into the future by going P&S only on DVD.
    If that happens, my reaction would be... disbelief... Are Americans really that much different from Europeans?? I'd like to hear what you think.

15. Ken Situ

Ken Situ Stunt Coordinator

Very simple. They may be J6P, but they are not stupid. They still know all the advantages of DVD over VHS.

16. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Ken, you took the words right out of my mouth.
    ------------------
    ONCE, I CONSIDERED SPARING YOUR RETCHED LITTLE PLANET CYBERTRON, NOW.., YOU SHALL WITNESS IT'S
    DISMEMBERMENT...
    MY HT PIXS

17. Pieter_L

Pieter_L Guest

easy!
    - they can skip past the BORING/COMPLICATED TALKING parts in Steven Seagal movies MUCH quicker than VHS
    - can use DVD rented from BB to play FRISBEE with Rover before returning it! (try doing THAT with a VHS!)

18. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    I think Steve is right, there are simply a large number of consumers out there that want the latest big thing. Not to be confused with early adopters, though.
    Having talked to lots of my friends and family who are less into the home theater scene than most of us, most people simply like the idea of a "movie on a CD", as they see it. In marketing terms, DVD's are "sexy", the same way a Corvette looks good to someone who knows nothing about what is under the hood.
    With DVD's, many people couldn't tell you any specific advantages, but they sure know the big sticking point:
    "What? You can't record on it?"

19. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

20. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Most (read: MOST) people don't hate widescreen, but don't realize why letterboxed formats are better.
    I've told this many times...
    My father was about as anti-widescreen as someone could get. When he got a DVD player, many of his first DVD's were those P&S/widescreen combo discs. Well, I showed him the differences between the 2.35:1 version of Dirty Harry and then the cropped 1.33:1 version. Guess what? The P&S sides of his combo DVD's now have fingerprints all over the P&S side and a clean side for widescreen. He's even watched Ben-Hur on DVD (which is 2.66:1 slightly matted to 2.76:1 to simulate an original 70mm print of the film) and didn't mind it one bit. He said that the widescreen version is BETTER because the cropped version is so cramped! He also said that watching Blazing Saddles (which only the DVD has the correct 2.35:1 image, I think) in widescreen was like watching it for the first time!
    We need to educate, give demos, compare, and convice!
    DVD is the perfect vehicle for convincing those who don't care about OAR to people who accept OAR. I have to admit that it's hard to watch a 2.55:1 CinemaScope movie on VHS, but the added resolution of DVD makes it great. Even the Ben-Hur DVD is easy to watch..on a 20" TV!
    You'll belive a non-OAR lover to watch Ben-Hur in 2.76:1.
    [Edited last by PatrickMcCart on October 18, 2001 at 03:04 PM]