What's new

Why do we get goosebumps listening to music? (1 Viewer)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
It's strange. It's not cold in my room, but playing music even at medium volume occasionally gives me goosebumps. (I'm sure movies would too.) I've heard the occasional mention of this being caused by the sound. Does anyone know? Thanks.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Whatever it is, understand that you have a system that 90% of us do not have. Don't try to break it down into pieces and analyse it, rather enjoy what you have.
I know that didn't help :) As far as I'm concerned, it's an emotional reaction to music. Again, as far as I'm concerned, that's the holy grail that I think an audio system should strive for. I know mine isn't there yet.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Michael:

You raise an interesting question which has been pondered by many a philosopher. From an evoutionary standpoint, there is no apparent "survival" advantage to music. As such, it is particulary puzzling why we respond so intensely to it.

In reference to Saurav's comment, I will add that while I have had the privilege of hearing what are almost certainly some of the best audio sytems in the world, such systems are not required to experience the goose bumps you spoke of. Despite our interest in high fidelity, the simple fact is that music can profoundly move us even when played back through a transistor radio. Go figure!

Regards,

Larry

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
measurements of metabolism in brain showed recently, that while you have those feelings, the same Brain regions change their firing pattern as it is the case during sex. By the way the same also fire, if you eat chocolate...
Obviously music causes a biological lust response. Concerning evolution, music may have been of service in early mankind for communication (even pre-speech) and coordination of ensemble word (think of songs that accompagne marching, harvesting, builing in non technological cultures).

Hartwig

Ned

Supporting Actor
Maybe you're a goose. I can't say it has happened to me but some nice floor rumbling bass does makes me feel warm inside.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Interesting, I was thinking how nice it would be if this is because the system is good (which it is, to an extent). But I don't think it's only that because even listening to a not so good sounding song, I still had the goosebumps. I even wrapped myself in a blanket to make sure it wasn't temperature related.

I'm thinking its just a subconscious emotional reaction or something and it happens when your brain is into the music, regardless of the quality of sound. I also wonder if it has to do with any particular aspect of the sound, such as low bass or soundstage realism, etc.

Saurav - "Don't try to break it down into pieces and analyse it, rather enjoy what you have." I do both. My strange logic goes like this: if I can analyze and understand how something works, then I can make it better. I don't think this is a 'Holy Grail' but rather a curious side effect.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
I don't think this is a 'Holy Grail' but rather a curious side effect.
Again, different people have different goals for their systems. My primary goal is to have something that lets me connect emotionally with the music. Goosebumps would certainly be an indication of an emotional connection, as would smiles, involuntary toe-tapping, and so on.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Hartwig:

Concerning evolution, music may have been of service in early mankind for communication (even pre-speech) and
coordination of ensemble word (think of songs that accompagne marching, harvesting, builing in non technological cultures).
Far too recent (perhaps 100,00 years, maximum) events to explain our response in evolutionary terms.

I remain perplexed.

Larry

Marc H

Second Unit
I haven't got goose bumps yet but certain tunes will bring a tear to my eye which I find very wierd. I'm not an emotional type really.

Doug BW

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I have an experience from just a few days ago that fits into this thread very well. I just started auditioning speakers over the last month, and have been listening to a lot of different speakers. This is the first time I’ve ever auditioned other than “budget” speakers, and I’ve been really amazed at just how good “good” speakers can sound.

Anyhow, the dealer I went to last Saturday had me listen to a couple of brands he thought I might like before the brand I had actually gone there to hear. The first speakers were okay…I could hear that they did a lot of things well: they seemed to do a good job of reproducing instruments, but the overall sound just wasn’t that involving.

Then he set up a second set of speakers and played the same track that I had just listened to with the other speakers. The music I heard then … and my reaction to it…really caught me off guard. It was amazing. This may sound silly, and it’s hard to describe, but I felt this huge wave of emotion pass through me. The music sounded so beautiful, and the contrast with the previous speakers, was so stark. It was so weird and completely unexpected. I’d never had that kind of reaction to music before. I remember thinking at the time about how chocolate supposedly contains chemicals that are similar to chemicals released by your brain (called endorphins), and that these chemicals trigger pleasurable emotions. It seemed as if whatever gland it is that produces endorphins had been given a kick by the music I was hearing.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Oh yes Doug, when you put on a certain song and you get absorbed into it and then you know something special is happening in your room. I only wish I could get that effect more.

By the way, what speakers did this?

John Royster

Screenwriter
'cause it sounds nice or hits an emotional high.:)
Seriously, I get goose bumps with really good vocals or violins.
I also get goose bumps listening to my stock car stereo on certain tracks that have some meaning to me. All over...legs, arms, back of neck, etc. Music really is my drug of choice.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Hmmm, I get these goosebumps too, usually on really loud passages in a movie, or in some good music. I also get it when peeing, ya know, the "shivers" :D

Doug BW

Stunt Coordinator
By the way, what speakers did this?
Harbeth HL Compact 7ES-2.

I'd never heard of Harbeth before....a search on this and other forums turned up nothing, although they are discussed a fair amount on Audio Asylum. Harbeth is a British company and I guess they're not widely distributed in the U.S.

ling_w

Second Unit
Get some serious class-A amps and you won't be getting those goose bumps anymore. In fact, you will be stripping to your underwears when you listen to your music.

Mark Tranchant

Stunt Coordinator
Larry B: maybe we didn't evolve from sludge, then, but were put here. There are plently of Biblical references to God liking music.

Yes, I am serious, and no, I don't live in Kansas.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Mark:
and no, I don't live in Kansas.
I don't associate religious beliefs with geographical location.
Larry
P.S. BTW, I am most definitely not an atheist. However, I believe in using religious writings as a guide, rather than taking them literally. This of course is a personal choice, and I respect others who believe differently.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Greg, another reason I posted this thread was because my system wouldn't seem like one to induce such an emotional reaction (however, with me it succeeds). Adire Kit281s, Audiosource Amp One, Denon DCD-1520. So how do I get goosebumps listening to an old Japanese CD player and cheap class AB solid state amps? (Okay, that is a bit exaggerated but still true.) I don't know. This is what led me to believe the effect is purely psychological and having little to do with the actual sound.

I think I'll try my hand at DIY class A amps this year. However, I might not if Ling's prediction is true. (There are windows in my room.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks