Why do we buy tower speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by shankar, Mar 27, 2002.

1. shankar

shankar Stunt Coordinator

If we are going to set them up as "small" and have a dedicated powered sub, why do we buy tower spakers. Is that mainly for 2 channel music listening pleasures?
    Thanks.

2. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Yep. I did that. I bought towers and sometimes I listen to the speakers without my subwoofer. If I did that with the bookshelf speakers I would have bought instead, I'd be missing significant bass. Also, the towers I bought are 2 dB more efficient and handle 75% more power. So louder, higher power handling and efficiency is a plus and if you remove the subwoofer, you have more bass than bookshelfs. Also, the sound is still bigger because there are more drivers. I could have bought smaller speakers, but the difference in efficiency is more than noticable. I am glad I bought towers.

3. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

Because the mids and highs of my towers sound better to me than the mids and highs of the bookshelf version by the same manufacturer (B&W).

4. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    Because I have children and the Paradigm Studio 60 is much more stable than the 40 or 20 on a stand [​IMG] .
    (I also liked the sound better).
    Mike

5. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

Because I wanted to buy a top-of-the-line speaker. My PSB Goldi's sound great.

6. KonradN

KonradN Stunt Coordinator

couple reasons:

-better dynamics due to higher efficiency and power handling

-don't need to buy stands

-look more impressive

-if your sub sucks, you can turn it off when listening to music and enjoy bass from your tower speakers that always blends in perfectly with your mids and highs.

-more stable and harder to knock down (think about kids and pets)

7. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

A few reasons actualy..

Asthetics (Yes I prefer the way a Tower LOOKS)

Near Full Range Output ( 32Hz to 22Khz ) Show me any BookShelf

that will do 100Db @ 32Hz..

Flexibility...

I don't run my mains as small..

8. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom Supporting Actor

Even given a top level bookshelf speaker that is equal above say 100hz with a tower will lack in the bass department.

If speaker A is a bookshelf that sounds great and speaker B is a tower that sounds great but extends down to 35hz rather than 70hz you have more options.

With a good tower you lose less bass with no sub. You can also crossover your sub at a lower level. Which can be an advantage depending on your system, room etc.

Personally I think people would have less issues with the big vs small if the names were different. If the names were "external sub" and "built in sub" things would be different. I couldn't come up with better names, but you know what I mean.

9. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

It's a guy thing! [​IMG]
    "...mine goes up to 11..."

10. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

My main reason for towers are centered around 2 channel enjoyment. Also, I am able to distribute the bass more evenly across the room. Having a processor with flexible bass management also has its advantages with towers. For example, I can set my towers to 40hz cutoff for HT OR run them large, depending on the source material. My room setup is very tough and I have very limited places to even put the 1 sub I do have. With the narrow footprint of the NHT towers (VT1.2's), this becomes less of an issue and at the same time, reinforces the bass.

11. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

I chose towers over bookshelf out of personal preference. I have Monitor 7's up front and mini's in the rear. For sound "quality" they are identical, over 100 hz. The problem was, that even though I love my PW-2200, 90% of the time I prefer my music without a sub, or with it turned *way* down, and fronts set to large. The mini's just didn't cut it for the lower frequency's (in my opinion of course) compared to my 7's, but for HT use, I think the mini's alla round would have been just fine.

12. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

all of the above, plus the lack of bass management with SACD and DVDA played a factor

13. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

Here are my reasons (sorry, all are repeats):

Large setting-I run my Axiom M50s using the "large" setting

Bass output-I only use my sub for HT, so I rely on the towers' bass output for music in 2 channel

Stands-no need for 'em

Looks-'nuff said

Stability-when mated with the proper cones, they're hard to tip over

14. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

The main reason for me was no stands. I was considering considering buying the Axiom M22s + stand...but for the same (or cheaper), I got the M40 floorstanders. Plus they kill the mids on my old Energy Take 2.

15. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

Why towers?

Because I like to set my front's to Large (Infinity Prelude MTS). They go down to 20Hz in-room and have tight, punchy bass that's better than any stand-alone sub I've ever heard. Yes, I use a sub for LFE (a 142L Shiva), but I almost never use it for music... unless I'm listening to organ music that is.

16. AnnC

AnnC Auditioning

"-more stable and harder to knock down (think about kids and pets)"
    That's interesting. You see, I bought bookshelves because I have a toddler and pets. I wanted something I could mount right up near the ceiling where no little fingers or big hairy paws could reach.
    [​IMG]

17. shankar

shankar Stunt Coordinator

annc. Very good point. I would have done exactly the same thing.

I have heard that you should have the tweeters in a speaker at ear level to get the right sound. With a book shelf speaker (on a book shelf and not on a stand) it may be hard to achieve. It will not be possible with the tiny cubes hung on a wall either, right??

Shankar

18. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I'll tell you why I do, and always will own towers for mains at least. I dont run my mains as large, and I listen to two channel music with my sub on. So why do I need towers when apperently I run my setup the way most bookshelf owners do rather then the way many others here with towers do (ie sometimes large and with no sub)? Becuase it is my opinion and my experience that your mains should be capable of going one octave lower then your crossover frequency before having any roll-off due to speaker design, in order to blend properly with your sub. Look at it this way, if your speaker has a natural roll-off anywhere near the crossover frequency, it will interact with the crossover. Ask THX, they designed their speakers roll-off to start at the same frequency as the crossover in order to have control of the overall blend of the sub and the speakers. The only problem is, many of us done have a full THX setup... receivers, speakers and subs so that we can take full advantage of their design principles. So, my (and others) best solution is to not let the speakers or subs crossover come into play at all. I run my speakers small, but with room gain, they are basically flat down to an octave below the x-over frequency. I run my sub with no crossover (its a SVS CS running off a full range monoblock) so I only have one crossover to worry about... the one in my receiver blends the sub and mains perfectly [​IMG]

19. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Mostly Bass, Imaging and looks. However, today I heard some polk towers, Jbl, and just for fun Bose. Why? I want new speakers. THey all sounded like crap!! NO BASS. THe JBL had dule 10" woofers. No output there. Polk had even less. Both were distorted and boring. Mids and highs were stained. THESE ARE $1000 speakers. THEY NEED A SUB

I'll just buy klipsch.(They may need a sub for my music!)

20. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

I like towers because of the full frequency range. I don't fancy listening to music with a sub when my towers are useful down to about 40hz.

Additionally, towers will give you a lot more flexibility especially with the new recievers on the horizon that will offer more crossover management. No more fixed crossover at 80/100hz - those days are practically over.