What's new

Why do TV's need calibrating but computer monitors (usually) do not? (1 Viewer)

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
While reading the posts today (like any other day), I realized (for the first time), "Hey, my NEC Multisync computer monitor displayed a PERFECT picture right out of the box, but EVERY TV I have purchased needed MAJOR adjustments. Why?"

Environment in sales area for both: same - high lighting, high traffic, monitors and TV's stack on shelves.

Input (I assume): probably comparable - some monitors had high-end (with, again I assume, advanced video cards) computers feeding them while others had low-end computers (i.e., low-end video cards) feeding them; some TV's had good satellite feeds coming in and were obviously not split 25 times, whereas some TV's look like they were picking up reception via rabbit-ears from a station 100 miles away.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

There is a difference between what your definition of perfect is compared to precision or accuracy.

TV calibration is the process of making the display more accurate.

One man's perfect is another man's garbage. But for the TV system, there is only one accurate and that is what the calibration strives for.

Regards

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Every computer monitor I have ever owned has benefitted from some measure of grayscale calibration. Note however that D6500 is not the standard for computer monitors.
Regards

Shane D

Supporting Actor
Any monitor used in a professional matter, (catalogs, newspapers, anything color critical), color correction is a must.

Its just when you use tem for games and stuff, correction isn't as important.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What are the standards for monitors and how should I calibrate mine? Like the nokia test patterns and wizards? Or will avia work ok...?

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
PC Mag has a free demo software to calibrate your pc monitor. It is used mostly for lcd monitors to help in adj grayscale, contrast levels, brightness, etc. The software is intuitive to use.

Go to their website and search for Displaymate or go to www.displaymate.com

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
My 17" Panasonic PL70i has 4 colour temperature settings - 9300K, 7500K, 6500K and 5000K. I do use the 6500 setting and I've measured it as being only about 150 degress off (plus blue). Tracks ruler flat too ;)

I believe it was Radius who used to make a line of professional monitors that came with colour analysers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks