1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Why do tornadoes almost always hit trailer parks?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveA, Sep 26, 2001.

1. BrettB

BrettB Producer

I took the liberty of posing the original question to a local Meteorologist here in OK. Here is his response.

2. chris_sharpe

chris_sharpe Stunt Coordinator

bleaching the gene pool
    ------------------
    MY POWER ANIMAL TOLD ME TO SLIDE.

3. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Scott
    I'd like to share a personal experience my family had a number of years ago (about 18 or so) when we lived in a suburb of Houston. It's semi-related to this topic.
    I was an infant, about 1, I believe. My sister is 2 1/2 years older than me, so she would have been about 3 1/2. There was a tornado in our town. It knocked a tree on our house, which crashed through the roof of my sister's room. She was in there sleeping at the time. She had a ceiling fan in her room. The fan held the tree up and stopped it from falling any further (if it did fall all the way to the ground, it would have fell right on my sister). That night on the news, my mom saw that in a trailer park, either in our town or a neighboring town, that tornado caused a tree to fall on one of the mobile homes, killing the girl inside - who was the same age as my sister.
    The day that that happened was my great-grandmother's birthday. She had died about a year earlier. My mom, to this day, thinks that my great-grandmother's spirit was watching over my sister that day and that was what stopped the tree from falling all the way to the ground.
    I guess that story ties in with the response that Brett got from the meteorologist - that obviously, a tornado would cause more damage/death in a mobile home than in a regular house.

4. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John