What's new

Why do they label the inputs on receivers (1 Viewer)

rodchar

Auditioning
Real Name
Rodney
Is there any reason why almost all receivers are labeled to specific kinds of devices for device inputs? For example, Game, SAT, DVD, BD, etc. It seems like it should be generic, like Input1 Input2 Input3.

I have my AppleTV in my SAT/Cable source, I think I'd rather remember a number like Input3, IDK, just my opinion.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Most/all(?) should allow you to change those labels (unless they were made long ago).

And some like Anthem do not have preset labels at all AFAIK -- they do as you want w/ more generic labels that can, of course, still be edited as usual.

_Man_

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I don't think there's a "good" reason, the manufacturers probably just felt that most non-geeks didn't want to go into the menu and manually name things, and that the names provided covered 80% of the cases.

bocat

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
Agreed, I think they label them for most people so they find it easier to hook up. My Denon 750 allows me to manually change the designation when it shows on the front of the receiver.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
For modern gear you're correct in that this makes no practical sense as inputs are usually assignable, however that wasn't always the case.

There are also some special situations such as when you connect a specific piece of equipment by the same manufacturer to a designated input. In my case, my Marantz AV7702mkii has such an input reserved for a Blu Ray player. You can, of course, connect whatever you want to that input but if you happen to own a Marantz Blu Ray player [I know - No one actually does :) ] you could connect it to that input and then control it from the Marantz Android or IOS app, along with the actual Processor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks