Why do these NON-16x9 DVD's appear to be 16x9??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnS, Aug 30, 2001.

1. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I decided to watch a couple of movies I haven't seen in a LONG time. Plus finally watch these on my 16x9 tv finally.
    Something About Mary
    Wargames
    Now, both of these are not listed 16x9. And I know they aren't 16x9. When I watch them, they both fill up the screen as if they were 16x9.
    What's the deal. They both look all right too, not like the other NON-16x9 DVD's(all pixeled and looking different on the tv)
    ------------------

2. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

It's interesting because according to the sites the US release is non-anamorphic. However my R2 version is anamorphic.
    I dunno how it is filling up your w/s telly, though. Definitely on 'wide' mode? It's not your TV automatically switching to 'zoom'? I guess not.
    Maybe it's always been mislabelled.
    Theo

3. Tom Bley

Tom Bley Extra

well, just because a movie isn't 16x9 enhanced doesn't mean it won't fit your 1.78:1 ratio (16x9)screen. Your tv has a zoom mode which allows you to fill the width of the screen (for non-enhanced dvds) as well as a full mode which unsqueezes a 16x9 enhanced dvd to fill the width of the screen. Enhanced 16x9 dvds are almost always better because of the extra vertical resolution but, there have been a few non-enhanced (letterboxed) dvds that look quite good just by zooming to fill the 16x9 screen.
    **note: a 2.35:1 ratio movie (enhanced or non-enhanced will fit the with of your 16x9 tv but, you will still have small black bars on top and on the bottom, this is normal**
    hopefully I understood your topic correctly.
    Have a good one.

4. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Some DVD's have aspect ratio coding which your TV can sometimes figure out and switch to zoom automatically. If it is a good quality LBX, it will look OK zoomed.
    ------------------
    Andrew in Austin
    ------------------
    Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player
    Sony STR-DA333ES A/V Receiver
    Sony KP-57XBR10W Rear Projection TV (16:9)
    Infintiy SM 120 (L & R)
    Infinity SM Video (center)
    Infinity SM 165 (surround)
    Infinity BU-120 (subwoofer)

5. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    If your TV can figure it out for you, that's a nice feature for all of those early Fox and Paramount non-enhanced titles with enhanced for 16:9 menus.
    Regards,
    ------------------
    Ken McAlinden
    Livonia, MI USA

6. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

There's Something About Mary has one of the best non-anamorphic transfers I've ever seen.

7. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

Are you watching on a new JVC progressive scan or Panasonic RP91??? If you are talking about the quality of the picture then this could be what's going on. If the 2.35:1 picture is filling your screen then it's the TV's zoom function. Switch it to standard or full. On 1.85:1 laserdiscs I use the "expand" mode on my TV to get the proportions correct. My DVD player will "expand" the non-enhanced discs to the correct proportions. They look great too.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

8. BrianM

BrianM Stunt Coordinator

Turn on your subtitles. If you can't read them all your picture has been zoomed.

9. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    Wargames-Ok, the subtitles are being cut off. So this is obviously not 16x9
    Something About Mary-The subtitles are NOT being cut off and the picture fills up the screen/when other non-16x9 movies are distorted on the screen.
    and the back of the packgae says 1.85:1. Is this a mis print? b/c people are saying it's 2.35:1
    ------------------

10. Trace Ahlers

Trace Ahlers Stunt Coordinator

It's probably because these are 1:85:1 movies. My W/S does the same thing and I have to adjust the scroll to center the picture.
    Trace
    [Edited last by Trace Ahlers on August 30, 2001 at 05:58 PM]

11. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I think people are just referring to 2.35:1 to point out you still get black bars even with anamorphic 2.35:1 films.
    Something About Mary should be 1.85:1. If you are zooming on such an image you will probably get tiny black bars top and bottom as your TV is 1.78:1. When you use the 'wide' mode on your TV, however, it will 'overscan' and you will get the screen filled on 1.85:1.
    Sounds like the picture on that title is indeed anamorphic. Makes sense as the R2 is anamorphic (and identical I believe). R2 WarGames is non-anamorphic. Seems to make sense. I'd just be happy if I were you but I guess you already are!
    Theo