Why Do Swans and Rockets look alike

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Allen Marshall, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

they look the same in a sense

2. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

you mean the colors? Both have a very nice Rosewood look to them. I think there was a long discussion during the transition of AV123 line from Swans to Rockets. Indeed there are some design similarities.

3. glenn.arsenault

glenn.arsenault Stunt Coordinator

I believe the cabinets are made and the speakers are assembled in the same factory.

4. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Good Morning guys.
    I just noticed this thread, and since I own both the Swans Divas, and the Rockets, I thought I would chime in. There is a long history here, but I will try to keep it short. The Divas were originally voiced and imported by Mark Schifter of www.AV123.com. He eventually had some "Trade Dress" issues, and chose to drop the Diva line in favor of his own design which were designed by his team and built from the ground up in their own factory in China. Those speakers ended up being the Onix Rockets, and are a considerable step up from the Divas in every respect. They are completely different and separate animal from the Divas with a more audiophile grade sonic signature. You can find a wealth of information on the Rockets by searching this Forum, as well as the AVS Forum. If anyone wants more specifics, just ask, and I will try to help.
    Thanks,

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

It's of note that the crossovers in the rockets were designed by Richard Pierce which in inself is something to take comfort in. However, I don't think it's 'their' factory in China though.

6. Walt N

Walt N Second Unit

If I recall correctly what Mark S. posted some time ago at the AV123.com site, the factory in China is owned by Mark Schifter and a guy named Mr. Pu. Right now they're building a new and larger factory as they're doing a lot of OEM work along with building Rockets.

7. Russell _T

Actually the Rockets are being manufactured in their own factory operated by Mr. Schifter and his partner.

8. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I definitely wouldn't call the rocket's "a step up in every respect", but they are definitely different.

9. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

10. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

I also have the 4.1s and love them, but I kinda whish i'd gone ahead with the 5.2s. They're great speakers, but I wonder if the 4.1 is meant to fill a price point, like for people who simply want a tower speaker but don't want to pay the price jump from the 2.1 to the 5.2?

11. Russell _T

Stephen,
    Have you heard the 5.2? The 4.1's were a better speaker than the 5.1, but with the addition of the dedicated midrange, I wonder how they sound now. They probably sound as good as the old 6.1's which were killer. I still listen to mine all the time.

12. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

The 4.1, i assume, sounded better than the 5.1 because the woofer going that deep AND trying to make good midrange was unacceptable. I'm really anxious to listen to the 5.2s and see how they sound compared to the 4.1s and see how much better they match with the C3 (exact same drivers). Matching w/ the C3 was another frequernt complaint of 5.1 owners.

13. Mark LS

Mark LS Stunt Coordinator

Hello...

The original DIVA's are really wonderful products... I hear that some of the newer designs are even better... This is a very good company with a fine reputation... nothing has changed...

Our issues with Hi Vi (the parent company) were well documented in the past, no more need be said... I want to make sure everyone understands... They make fine products... and are a formidable competitor to our Rocket and ONIX line.

Rocket's were designed by Dick Pierce, Mr. Pu and myself... I feel our products represent outstanding value for dollar... but please note that YMMV... and speakers are very subjective by nature...

The current factory and our new 180,000 sq. foot facility under construction belongs to myself and Mr. Pu... We build for many other folks... and during next year we plan an even larger expansion in our OE side of the business...

Hope this helps...

Wishing everyone all the very best...

mls

We wish our friends at Swan's / DIVA well...

14. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Mark:

Thanks for taking the time to come on the forum, yet again, to explain your position with your line of speakers and the Divas. I know it is very helpful to the membership that has questions about the two lines.

Regards,
    Parker

15. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

Hey Mark, Why are you building/investing in the Peoples Republic of China?

[​IMG]

16. Russell _T

Try taking a class in Global Economics.

17. Mark LS

Thanks Parker...

It's really my pleasure and honour to do so... I only wish I had more time to hang out here... [​IMG]

Wishing you my friend all the very best...

mls

18. Mark LS

Hello Tom... and thanks for your post and question...

For me... the obvious became a reality many years ago... Building speakers in No. America is very difficult these days, as the regulatory bodies have made it almost impossible to get furniture grade finishes at anywhere near reasonable costs... It begins there...

While my company is very small... the Big Boys have made this move as well. From the greats like JBL and Infinity to Polk and Def Tech --- all of us have come to realize that China holds the key to manufacturing repeatable, reliable and cost effective product.

This is but a short answer... and I can go into greater detail if you'd like more input on the subject...

Thanks again...

Respectfully...

mls

19. Tom Grooms

Tom Grooms Second Unit

20. Mark LS

Good Question...

Essentially I wanted to build a product line around superior cosmetics and finish --- standing along with a "comfortable" sonic signature...

Tom... I just cannot build the Rocket enclosures in America at 5X the price I pay for it (internally) now... Wish I could...

Our enclosures are built very differently than just about anything else I'm aware of... save for B+W. We build a "super structure" of multiple layers of 3mm and 5 mm MDF, wetted and placed in high tension molds to get the desired shape... This is a very time consuming as well as space consuming process (I have pictures of this somewhere if you'd like to see the molds)... and to do it here --- well, I just can't at anywhere near the price...

You'd be interested to know that most of the great furniture manufacturers have set up shop in Guang Dong Provence as well... and these factories are just unbelievable... Makes what I'm doing look like small potatoes...

I LOVE AMERICA (as do you)... but this is about the future... and while I loved building Genesis products in Vail, Colorado... reality sets in real quick these days for me... [​IMG]

Thanks for your interest... I won't be on line much tomorrow as I'm off to San Diego real early in the AM... but if you care to see the pictures... I'll send them later in the week...

Wishing you all the very best...

mls