Why do Sony Speakers have such a high freq response?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg*go, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I was browsing around Crutchfield.com last night, and noticed that most speakers have a range of up to 20 kHz (some Polk speakers have 26 kHz, but that's not a big gap). But when I looked at some of the Sony speakers, I noticed one speaker package goes up to 70 kHz (the LA300PKG) and one of their floor standing speakers goes to 50 kHz ( the SMF500H speakers).

My question is this: If the average human ear can only hear sounds up to 20 kHz at the most, what is the reasoning behind Sony making these speakers?

Plus, I could be wrong, but I would guess that most audio in music and movies will only go up to 20 kHz. Aside from pissing off my dog for hearing things I can't, I don't really see any benefit in these speakers.

2. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Marketing. More is better right?

I think it has something to do with their SACD being good up to 50kHz supposedly. Now all their amps and speakers are rated to 50kHz also.

Seth

3. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

They could use any help they can get for marketing their speakers. No matter what model Sony loudspeaker I've listened to I never liked them one bit.

20k test tones arn't audible IMO, and what types of music do you think will have notes that high in the first place. I think they want ppl to believe their speakers have such large headroom that they can effortlessly play high notes.

I know their speakers can produce high notes.. too bad it's enough to sound like lasers to the ear.

Edit: I don't mean to bash Sony, it's just my opinion on how their speakers sound.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sony's MASS market speakers are typically crap, however they DO actually make some decent speakers. They just don't market them much.

It is not marketing hype, it is because of the release of SACD which is capable of reproducing much higher than 20Khz, you now need a speaker capable of handling the signal. Many have said that while you can't really hear sound above 20K, it does have an effect on what you DO hear if the sine wave is not correct. This is very similar to having a sub tuned to below 20Hz, you can't HEAR it, but you can feel it, and it does have an impact on what you experience.

5. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Thanks for the quick answers, I had a feeling it was more of a marketing gimmick then anything else. I guess if it makes for noticeably better listening, we'll see other companies start doing the same thing.

But, I must admit, I've never heard anyone say "WHOA, that speaker has some kick-ass trebile, I'm surprised my windows didn't shatter from those high notes."

6. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

that's the thing. music is not a perfect sine way and can have other waves superimposed on the waveform at much higer frequencies. The added resonse from the tweeter just means it is fast enough to reproduce them. These "overtones" are what makes a trumpet sound different than a trombone or saxaphone. All three are playing middle C but sound very different.

7. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

That also doesn't mention at what SPL 50khz is. It is probably at like -20db or something so quiet you would never hear it. It is that way with all cheap mass marketed speakers that say frequency response from 20-20khz. The 20hz note may be there, but the main frequency range tapered off long before that.

8. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Most (not all) speaker makers usually rate them + or - 3dB. However some measure in an anechoic chamber and some measure in a carefully designed room to make their speakers look good.

Seth