Why do some transfers seem jittery?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JohnKings, Oct 23, 2003.

1. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

Hello all:

Can someone explain to me why some transfers just seem to jitter more than others? Some movies seem so steady and others the picture seems to jitter quite a bit. Is jitter generally a function of the media, the hardware or the display or could it be a combination of two or all three?

I though at first that it was my DVD player or my TV, but I believe that I have confirmed that it is the software by playing the suspect dvds in two other players(utilizing two other displays) including my PC DVD-ROM drive and seeing the same issue.

Thanks for any information.

John

2. JohnKings

In case anyone cares, after reading up on this topic it appears judder is an artefact of the 3:2 pulldown conversion. It apparently exists to some degree on most dvds where film based media is being converted for viewing on TV.

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    A few thoughts:

1) Excessive alcohol. [​IMG]
    2) What playback equipment are you using? Progressive scan DVD player? Line doubler? Digital television?
    3) What DVD? What chapter/time? Is the DVD enhanced for 16x9 televisions? Is it playing back on a 16x9 television?

- Steve

4. JohnKings

My setup is as follows:

TV: Hitach 51S700
    DVD: Panasonic XP50
    Cables: Acoustic Research Master Series Component (12 Ft.)
    DVDs: Dances with Wolves, Baby's Day Out, Opening Scene of Resident Evil (panning in on laboratory) and others!

I am very certain that this fairly hard to notice on anything other than a big screen. Also, I belive that I am very sensitive to jitter/judder.

5. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

The transfer quality has a lot to do with it; for example, Image's Doomwatch has a lot of problems here, while their Ms. 45 is rock-steady. Same player, same display.

6. Andy_G

Andy_G Stunt Coordinator

Could it be that the telecine has a loose gate?

7. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    During the process when a film print is scanned and converted into a digital format, reels of film must be played back through a telecine machine. If the film sprocket holes on the print happen to be worn or, as Andy G. suggested, the telecine machine itself has a loose gate, then the film will wiggle slightly as it passes in front of the aperture. I noticed this on a few DVD's, including Ben-Hur.