Why do some think the Jaws DVD isn't very good?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Cook, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Brad Cook

Brad Cook Stunt Coordinator

So, in the ET thread, I was wondering why some were disparaging the release of Jaws on DVD. I picked it up last summer and was happy with it.
    Douglas Bailey had this to say:
    "Well, I won't claim to speak for anyone else, but my objections to the DVD, in brief, are:
    *the documentary is cut down from its original length;
    *the film's original Academy Award-winning soundtrack isn't included.
    If anyone wants to pursue this bit of the discussion, let's start a separate thread so as not to clog the E.T. conversation."
    Well, here's the separate discussion. I'm interested in hearing what others have to say. I've been curious about the documentary ever since I read that the one on the DVD has been cut down from the original one that was on LD. Is the longer documentary better?
    - Brad

2. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

I think it's a real shame that there's no commentary, personally. I know Spielberg hates them but I don't need to hear him. A cast one can be just as interesting.
    That aside the movie is so good I'm not sure complaints are in order. Anamorphic bare bones would be worth purchasing. However my main issue was the presentation of the deleted scenes. You could see this was an old DVD - they're just strung together with no context or chapter markings.
    I've not seen the LD or anything but maybe this will see an Ultimate Edition re-release. Certainly I seem to remember a 20th anniversary edition prior to this so maybe the 30th will come out with more extras. [​IMG]
    Theo
    ------------------
    My band is @ http://www.mokita.net
    My Novelty Coasters

3. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Brad,
    The DVD of Jaws is wonderful and quite good.
    My theory on stuff like this is that these types of complaints are nothing more than human psychology. Many former laserdisc owners unintentionally and unconsciously "need" a reason to justify that they paid so much for laserdiscs (in this case ~ $125 for Jaws) back in the day. Now, you can get 90% of that package for ~$20 or less.
    For the record, I am a former laserdisc owner and was against the DVD format back in 1996 and early 1997. One trip to the audio/video store for a DVD demo in March 1997 changed all that.
    Regards,
    Dan

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I think Speilberg wanted to have DTS availible for all DVD's of his films and some he produced.
    About new media...
    My uncle paid around 100 bucks for a Gone With The Wind VHS set in 1991...
    He's annoyed how he can get the restored DVD for under 20. He has a collection of around 1000 tapes (lots of rareties) and maybe 40% of them could be replaced with great DVD's...not to mention a lot of Criterion Collections!
    [Edited last by PatrickMcCart on October 19, 2001 at 09:09 PM]

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

6. Michael St. Clair

7. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

8. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

Like I said it is just my theory so feel free to agree or disagree. I think a distinction needs to be made here though before this LD vs. DVD goes futher.
    My other theory is that there are two general types of people when it comes to DVD (and LD in the old days). One, those who are into Home Theater with DVD (or LD back in the dark ages) as the collectible medium which delivers theater like quality entertainment. Two, those who are into film/movies with DVD (or LD) as the collectible medium for their love of their favorite films/movies. The key differentiator being DVD as entertainment vs. film preservation.
    I'm more into the entertainment aspect of home theater and always have been since the early days. That said, I can certainly understand why some in the latter group get upset with remixes, etc. However, I still think that a great portion of the people who post/complain about the issues like those questioned in the original post about Jaws are doing so to either 1.)psychologically justify their expensive laserdisc purchases of years past or 2.)to become some sort of self-proclaimed elitist or 3.)to do nothing more than make a "I have something that you don't" statement.
    Hey, I still have some nice laserdiscs and LD boxed sets. However, for example, the moment the original Star Wars Trilogy is released on DVD my boxed sets of those films be gone. I can honestly say that I cannot wait for the day that I retire my Pioneer Elite CLD-99 Laserdisc player and make an extra space on my rack for something else.
    Regards,
    Dan

9. MaxY

MaxY Guest

The Only thing I found wrong with the DVD was the awful 5.1 mix.
    You can hear distinct changes in the dynamic range between the music and the dialogue and some of the effects.
    It was like the Girl screaming in the water early on had no dynamic range ti hit and shounded awful and the muisc kicks in and had mile wide dynamic range in what sounded very much like a modern recording.
    Other then that it was fine.
    BTW I have only heard the DTS version and have heard the DD version is worse.
    Max
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
    Equipment Lists for My HTs
    Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
    Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

10. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I like the DVD, but Universal really should have included the original Academy Award winning mono soundtrack in addition to the new 5.1 version and not cut down the documentary.
    Considering some of the absolute crap Universal make into 'Ultimate Editions' these days it did seem a very odd decision.

11. MarkBurton

MarkBurton Second Unit

12. Tyler T

Tyler T Stunt Coordinator

Hey! Maybe They will release an Ultimate Edition of Jaws with nothing more but a free screensaver (oh!!!), a sneak peek at Jaws 5: The Shark King (starring The Rock !!!!! Nice!!!), and last but not least a Pan and Scan version (to make everyone happy!!!!!). SRP is $29.00!!!!!! MRP is $28.99!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

13. Bjorn Thoresen

I don't think that DVD collectors can be so easily abstracted into two clearly-defined groups of entertainment-oriented fans and joyless preservationists.
    Clearly, there are some people who are entertained when sound comes out of all their speakers at once, just as there are those who are entertained when there are no black bars on their screens.
    But on the other hand, rather than assuming those who want to hear a film's original soundtrack are grimly ascetic historians who want to wring all the pleasure from the home theater experience, it seems more accurate to me to view them as people whose enjoyment of a film is severely compromised by the alteration of that film's original soundtrack to suit contemporary tastes.
    For me, "Vertigo" is one of the worst examples I can think of in terms of altered audio. While it's nice to hear the film's score in stereo and with improved dynamic range, the re-recorded audio is as subtle as a slap in the face. There is simply no way I can sink into a deep involvement with the film's narrative when I'm constantly jolted by obviously re-dubbed sound effects.
    My point is that the reason I don't like the soundtrack is that it detracts from my enjoyment of the film, not because I have a perverse commitment to hearing low-fidelity sound.
    Complaining that a film lacks its original sound mix is no less legitimate than complaining that it lacks part of its original imagery.

14. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    I'm with Bjorn Thoresen: the new sound effects in the Jaws remix just pull me out of the film.
    They're not inherently awful in and of themselves, mind you: it's just that this is one of a handful of films (Star Wars is another) that I watched often enough as a child to have the soundtrack imprinted on my brain forever. Every time a new effect pops up in the remix, I'm jolted out of the film's spell.
    I have no objection to Universal including the new mix: there will be buyers who'll prefer it, and more power to them, say I. But I wish they'd included the original soundtrack as well. (MGM did it right with The Terminator and Paramount with Chinatown...)
    In the meantime, I'll hold on to my laserdisc copy, I guess.
    doug