What's new

Why do some people put "(long)" in their thread subjects? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I see people do this every now and then, and I just don't get it. Chances are, if you're starting new thread on an Internet forum, you want me to read it. However, if you tell me that it's long and perhaps boring, I'm less likely to be willing to read it.
Furthermore, most of the posts that are labled as long are anything but--at least by my standards. If you know me at all, you know that I can post long threads. For instance there's this thread and this thread. Now I consider those posts to be long, but I don't label them as such, because I want you guys to read it, or at the very least, click on it.
So give. What's the story here? Why do people do this?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Some people feel the need to apologize for long posts because of the time they feel it will take for others to read them. I've done that on occasion at the end of a long, but I've never put "(long)" in the subject line. I guess some feel better alerting people ahead of time that "you may want to pass this one by if you don't have much time."

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
Its probably a habit over from newsgroup posts, where each individual post was downloaded seperately. Its useful to know that something is going to take a little while...

Greg Rakaska

Stunt Coordinator
Its probably a habit over from newsgroup posts, where each individual post was downloaded seperately. Its useful to know that something is going to take a little while...
This is undoubtedly the answer. Back before Al Gore invented the internet :laugh: , a lot of folks logged into NNTP (network news transport protocol) servers using 2400 baud (or less) modems. "Back in the day" some of those folks paid for access by the MINUTE!
NNTP news readers typically download just the article headers. The user then decides which article bodies to download. At 1200 baud, and $0.25 per minute, it would be costly to download a "long" article so posters typically warned the readers when their posts were long.
My first modem was 300 baud !!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Great, Ron. Now people are going to be putting "SHORT" on all their headers... :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks