What's new

Why do some films that were blockbusters, later get bashed? (1 Viewer)

Scott Ware

Stunt Coordinator

I think's it's perfectly reasonable for a person to grow tired of a movie with too much marketing.

Personally, I have lost interest in seeing Shrek 2. I liked the first one, but after seeing all of the marketing tie-ins, I'm sick of Shrek. It's not small things like appearing on the side of a Coke bottle either. I'm talking tie-ins with the manufacturers of popcorn, soda, fruit snacks, potato chips, cereal, slurpees, Cheetos, "Bellywash" (I'll let you figure out just what the hell that's supposed to be....), Hamburger Helper, pizza roles, waffles, candy bars (Kudos, M&M, Skittles, among others), baking kits, and many more products that have nothing in common with Ogres or fairy tales. Oh yeah, and I think there may be some media coverage too.

I think that all of this is just too much. I'm simply burned out on all of this stuff. I have no doubts that Shrek 2 will be a blockbuster, but at this point, I'd rather not see it.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Or just the sense that something is crowding other movies out, when it seems like all anything talking about movies in any medium is discussing is Titanic, that sort of thing."

The reason everyone was talking about Titanic for so long was because

a) it had no real competition for weeks, and the awards only added to the sense of cultural juggernaut

b) it was a film with great word of mouth - one of these days, the skeptics are just going to have to accept this, and let it go...

A whole lot of people loved Titanic. A whole lot of people have since turned against it for their own personal reasons, but Titanic came on the scene like an underdog, and for a time, everyone was happy it had done well, and Cameron hadn't made a disaster. It was only after it had done *too* well - and *cough* outgrossed Star Wars * that the knives came out.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"I think that all of this is just too much. I'm simply burned out on all of this stuff. I have no doubts that Shrek 2 will be a blockbuster, but at this point, I'd rather not see it."

I think it is woeful that a film is judged by the greed of its producers and distribution company, as opposed to the contents and merits of the actual film.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
That may be true for some people, but not all. I didn't say one bad thing about Titanic until after the closing credits, when I told my wife "That sucked", and my opinion has NOT changed one iota since.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Everyone likes/dislikes different things. I still really find AOTC to be a great film, I enjoy it now as much as I did in the theater, and seeing it in HD on HBO is a good thing ;)

TPM doesn't hold up quite as well, I guess the story didn't grab me.

But there are tons of movies I -loathe- that I know people love. I hated ET. Hated it as a kid, hate it as an adult, find it fairly unwatchable and just bah.

To each their own. In some ways, though, I think some do give far more criticism to the big blockbusters because they are a bigger target. Everyone here can agree that "North" (a Bruce Willis stinker) sucks. But no one is going to kick start threads about how terrible it is, because everyone has already forgotten it. Just the same as I don't think you'll see a new "why Waterworld sucks" thread, because they've gotten over it. Because the size/money of the Star Wars/Matrix films, etc. there will be people on both sides, and thus, it makes for constant fodder.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Really?? Besides the fact that HBO CROPS AOTC on HBO HD, I thought it looked pretty bad compared to other cropped HD presentations, so I would say it's a BAD thing.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks