What's new

Why do some companies receivers leave off B-speaker? Marantz, HK, etc (1 Viewer)

sam_canavo

Stunt Coordinator
The panny will not run 5.1 plus "b" speakers at the same
time but if you are listening only to music or tv in stereo
then the "a" speakers and "b" speakers can be run together.
This is much easier than buying an extra amp or volume control.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Aaron,

The Denon 3802 has 2 assignable stereo amps for either multizone speakers . I believe some Onkyo and Sony ES models also have similar capability. Note that you can listen to stereo source on the multizone and 5.1 in the family room from separate sources. Although most receivers will only allow you to use the analog inputs as the source for the multizone. I think the new Sony DA4es will allow digital inputs on the multizone. You should also consider the DA4es since it has Virtual surround modes to replicate phantom rear speakers (that you don't have) and the multizone, and can be had for well under $700. The DA4es is near the level (or equivalent) of the DA5es with a few more features but w/out the 2-way remote. Although I am hearing that the 2-way remote capability can be enabled in the DA4es if you choose to buy one later on.

Denon will also be replacing the 3802 in the next month or so and you should be able to get one from a local chain on closeout for around $650 or via mailorder if you choose. A replacement for the 2802 (2803?) may also have the features you want. I suspect you will want a separate 2 or 3 channel amplifier in the future for your mostly music setup, and while the Marantz and HK "may" have better amplification the Denon makes a good preamp paired with an external amp. I'd recommend a HK, Parasound, or Sherwood amp as a future upgrade.

What are you going to use for the upstairs theater BTW?

Yogi

Screenwriter
With regards to mono - its not a big deal. I actually sometimes prefer it that way outside, because depending on where you're guests are they might not be sitting in the sweetspot
Imagine this. Everybody drinking beer on the patio/deck and laughing at jokes. Kids running around shouting. One of the guests trying to find the sweet spot for critical listening and once he finds it after pushing aside some guests and after pleading that no one comes between the speakers and him, closes his eyes to locate the exact placement of instruments and vocals and truly enjoys your setup. What are the odds of that?:D I think it would be perfect to have MONO playing outside.

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Gil, thanks for the reply. I guess I'll have to research the multizone feature a little more. I didn't know the 1803 could only take analog sources. I just figured whatever was connected to the receiver, whether its a CD player, radio tuner, the TV, etc would be able to be outputted to the multizone B speakers. I have to admit, I have kinda written off the Sony Stuff, even though everythng else I have (TV, DVD, VCR) is Sony, although the 4es might be a little more than the pricepoint I wanna pay for the downstairs. Bottom line: I just want something downstairs that will be able to drive a pair of Swan Diva 2.1's and the C3 and be able to play music or the football game on the back porch. I had thought this would be such a simple task for most receivers these days! :)
As far as the real home theater, still trying to decide on that setup. Probably something on par with the 3802 and a nice 3 channel amp like the Acurus 125x3 or something, and a 6.1 speaker system. Will go audition Paradigm, B&W, Dynaudio, PSB, etc when we get all moved in ina few weeks and the pocket book allows. Oh, and an SVS. :)
Aaron

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Aaron, if you just want the abilty to play music on the back porch or play it in the room with the tv, then just pick up a 4 speaker Niles speaker selector switch for $100. They work fine. I use one for my downstairs setup consisting of a Pioneer VSX-D811S and 3 pairs of main speakers in 3 different rooms. We normally only listen to one pair at once but have done 2 at a time without any problems. We also listen at reasonable levels so your mileage may vary if you really crank it. But the switch also comes with a protector switch that introduces a 2.5 ohm resistor into the equation. Anyhow, this may be a more straightforward solution and free you from trying to pair a receiver with your requirements.

cheers,

--tom

Hanwook_K

Stunt Coordinator
Speaker selector is another path ... when I was installing a system. But speaker selectors are so expensive, we decide on just getting a $100 stereo receiver - of course if you have the space. But the speaker selector works fine for same source as inside, and you already have a volume control outside (again you will only be able to turn it down).

Gil,

Good point. I do recall that the Onkyo 575 didn't pass through the digital signal through the tape loop. You can always hook up both the analog and digital of the DVD player ... most devices even cable have both digital and analog audio signals so this should be a hugh issue - but it is a consideration.

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Note that you can listen to stereo source on the multizone and 5.1 in the family room from separate sources. Although most receivers will only allow you to use the analog inputs as the source for the multizone. I think the new Sony DA4es will allow digital inputs on the multizone. You should also consider the DA4es since it has Virtual surround modes to replicate phantom rear speakers (that you don't have) and the multizone
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++
I don't want to buy 6.1/7.1 and get 5.1......
and sonys and denons don' have an easy way of switching back and forth AND if you are running the outdoor speakers loud it takes the inside fidelity/dynamic range/headroom down considerably ..... as the other poster suggested, buy a cheap stereo rcvr and do it right, off the zone 2 pre-outs....
mono on a deck is preferable and can be done from a stereo rcvr......

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Hanwook,

Do you still have the Polk LSi-9 and NorH 9?

Aaron is looking for speaker recommendations and I can highly recommend he audition the new Polk LSi series. As I prefer them to my old B&W's and they compare well to my Sonus fabers, especially for the price. Don't know too much about Norh but the 9 is supposed to be one of their top models and I recall that you may have slightly preferred the Polks over them. The new Rockets share the same Tweeter as the Polk. Many happy Diva owners but I personally have not had the opportunity to listen to them and unfortunately cannot comment on how they compare to the Lsi or Rockets.

The Polk's have a really nice switchable bipolar/dipolar surround speaker (LSi-FX) that I plan to pick up next. Don't have the LSi-C center yet but I don't miss it with the LSi-9's. I have had my Sonus Piccolo center disabled for months!

Gil

Aaron H

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I have been hearing a lot of talk about the Polk LSi's. In fact, my father in law just got some new speakers. People were trying to sell him Bose, and I told him to see what else he can get. The store also sold Polk, and then sent home some indoor/outdoor speakers for him to test. Since I knew they sold polk, I started searching this forum for some good Polk speakers and came across the LSI series. He actually ended up getting the LSi9's. But I don't think he too happy with them. He just built this huge, georgous cheery entertainment center for his 3 TV's and the Polk's are in the side cabinet's almost down at the ground level. I'm sure they are placed really bad and that's where the disappointment might come in.

But yes, the LSi's are on the audition list (still have to read up on the switchable rears) and I would like to get a pair of the norh's too, but I just don't know where I'd put them. They are SO cool, though. Especially the blue 4.0s and the new "green" color that they've got on their webpage now. Maybe if they'd come out with some colored ceramic 3.0's, I could hide those in my office somewhere.

Aaron

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Aaron,
How long has he had the LSi-9? Polk recommends 100hours of break-in and I found it did take awhile. The bass, mids and imaging improve as the woofers loosen up. I found the same with my Sonus faber Signums.
Most likely the positioning low to ground is the big problem. The tweeter in any speaker wants to be close to ear level since the dispersion of hi frequencies are very narrow.
As far as placing them in the cabinet, usually this is not good for a speaker due to reflections. The best placements are normally well out into the room and away from walls for most speakers. I think the LSi-9 and Signums are good performers in tight places. The Signums were actually designed to be placed near boundaries. And the Vifa tweeter in the Lsi has superior dispersion compared to many tweeters.
There is also a rear port on the Lsi-9. Although it does have the power port which is probably better than having an open port, I would suspect the speaker would still be boomy inside the cabinet.
I think he really needs to place the speaker on stands and get them out of the cabinet. Any idea what the electronics are?
These speakers destroy the old Bose 701's I use to have. Thank God you talked him away from them. Maybe you can convince him to get the Polk LSi-15 ($1K for the pair online) or 25 towers and give you the 9's :D
Why 3 TV's?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks