What's new

Why do so many people misspell "cheesy" (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Seems almost everyday I'm on the forum I see someone use the word "chessy" where they mean "cheesy".

Like this thread:
Chessy 80's movies

I would assume "chessy" would mean "of or related to chess"? As in, "look at that knight, he's so chessy."

Just found it weird, I'd bet a search of the word chessy would bring up another dozen articles, since it seems to be something I see almost daily.

-V

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
The one that bugs me the most and I see it daily is ridiculous spelled rediculous, drives me nuts.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
"must of" instead of "must have"--boy that's like fingernails on a chalkboard when I read it! :)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I see loose being said instead of lose. Or vice versa.

And yes, I am one of those people that spell rediculous wrong. :)

Jeff_Krueger

Stunt Coordinator
Another common one is the use of accept and except being mixed up. I especially enjoy it when I see signs at a store or some other business with that mistake. Makes them look real smart:)

Ok time to go back to writing my German paper
:frowning: hmm... I need to look up accept, or is it except:D

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
If i've told you once, I've told you fourty times, this spelling thing is a pain in the ass. And the spell checker doesn't work.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
And unfortunately, spelling not something that many people seem to care about.
I thought that might change, since most of us do more typing in the computer age.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
My all time pet peeves for spelling (and homophones!):

your and you're: One shows possession and the other is a contraction.

to, too, and two: I have seen so many people write "to" when they mean "too"!!!

its and it's: This one is a bit trickier, in that the possessive has no apostrophe.

Speaking of apostrophes, I don't even want to start on people who throw them everywhere, especially on plurals.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
cheesy -> chessy looks more like a typo that wasn't caught before hitting the "submit" button, rather than a blatent misspelling. I do that a lot (double the wrong letter).

Eve T

Supporting Actor
I'm almost afraid to type another thing on this forum as I wonder who will be going crazy on the other end of a computer screen pointing their finger at the screen and going arggggghhhhhhhhhhhh! at me. :frowning:

I don't believe I have been guilty of making any of the above mentioned mistakes, but I am am terrible at punctuation.

Sometimes people just make mistakes. As long as I understood what they were trying to get at I don't think it's a big deal about how they spelled something, that is unless they are filling out a job application or going to work for a publishing house. I mean really, who cares?

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
The one that gets my goat is:

"definately"

instead of

"definitely"

I swear I see this on at least one forum every day and it burns me every time.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
I mean really, who cares?
Well, obviously, a few of us do!:D

But seriously...you have a point, in that it's wrong and a waste of time and energy to expect grammatical and spelling perfection. However, many of us DO care about such things because without them, clear, powerful communication is not possible. And honestly, it can often give the perception of someone with less education or smarts, even though there are many reasonably intelligent and educated people who can't write very well!

For those of us who frequent newsgroups, forums, and use e-mail as a primary means of communication, having a basic, consistent hold on good grammar and spelling is critical. I know many of us have had the frustration of trying to "puzzle out" a posting or message from someone who comma splices everything, or who writes in fragments, or who consistently spells commonly-used words incorrectly.

And yes, my college degree is in English! (English education, to be exact.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks