What's new

Why do so many kids not like milk anymore? (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Marianne

Almond Milk tastes better than Rice Milk, IMO.
I've never tried Almond milk, but I agree that Rice milk is not the most tasty stuff in the world. I have thought of trying soy milk, but I haven't been able to bring myself to try it. The stuff just sounds like liquid Tofu to me and I really don't like Tofu.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
This is the one I drink -- the "Original" flavor, in front. It also exists in an "unsweetened" variant but I wouldn't recommend that anyone try the unsweetened versions.

Best price is 2-for-$4, but Safeway recently raised the price to nearly $3 each -- so you have to wait for sales to stock up. I've tried the "Vanilla" flavor and don't recommend that flavor either.

These always taste best when they are very cold.
almondbreeze.jpg

Robbie R

Stunt Coordinator
In my house milk & water are the only drink options on the kids Menu.
My 2 Year old drinks Whole Goats Milk (for some reason he can' t digest cows milk)
My 4 Year old drinks 2% (Often mixed with chocolate syrup, or honey & vanilla extract)
My Wife & I Drink Skim.

We buy 4 Litres (1 US Gallon) a week of each, and often the kids milk does not last the week so back to the store we go! BTW the Goats Milk is $11.00 a Gallon!!!!

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I love milk. I live alone and go through about 1-2 gallons of Organic Valley Whole Milk a week. While not opposed to soda, I'll still drink it in small amounts at social occasions (but I prefer Beer at that point ) I so rarely drink it, I don't miss it in the least. A few weeks back, I had a Pepsi (in high school my favorite drink) for the first time in like 6 or 7 years, and it was so overly sweet, I almost couldn't finish it. Milk, Water, and Tea are pretty staple for me.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
You put the silica packets in the botton of the bowl of cereal, keeps the milk fresh.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Malcolm R

Personally, I never liked the thick, creamy texture of milk. I felt like I was drinking a glass of slime. As a child, I frequently would ask for water when someone would offer me a glass of milk. I also don't like it as chocolate milk or milkshakes.

As an adult, I only use milk for the occasional bowl of cereal and in cooking. I probably haven't had a straight glass of milk since I was 10 years old. I buy it occasionally, but seldom use all of it before it spoils. In fact, I have an unopened quart in my fridge right now that I need to throw away. Bought it around mid-August and never used any of it.
Hmm my problem is I don't think it's creamy enough.
too thin and not nearly as tasty as it was 20 years ago when i drank it like i needed it to live.
this is whole milk.

Originally Posted by Edwin-S

Rice dream works; although it is not as good as milk.
rice dream, is that a brand name?

Originally Posted by Marianne

Almond Milk tastes better than Rice Milk, IMO.
never knew of almond milk, sounds good.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
I agree with Will_B that the "Original" Almond Milk tastes the best.

At my supermarket (Publix) it is available in the 32oz unrefrigerated cartons in the Health Food section and also in 64oz cartons in the refrigerated section (with the other types of milk). The 64oz costs $3.29 (but is sometimes on sale).

I don't like the taste of rice milk and can't tolerate soy milk. BTW large amounts of soy are bad for the thyroid.

I decided to stop drinking cows milk due to sinus problems (about a month ago) and I have lost weight (5 lbs).

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
MY family has been on a health kick lately and we have been buying Vanilla flavored rice milk. My wife buys almond milk for herself. Me and the kids prefer the vanilla flavored Rice Dream rice milk. I agree it's not as good as milk but I like the taste alot better than the almond milk. The almond taste is just too strong for me.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by TonyD

rice dream, is that a brand name?
Yes. I thought it was a U.S brand but now I'm not sure. It's possible that it is only available in Canada. I used to use the Vanilla flavoured version, mostly in cereal. I could never drink the stuff straight out of a glass. Putting the word "Milk" behind "Rice" is really stretching the definition of milk. "Rice Dream" was mostly water with a bit of flavouring. I use 1% milk now: mostly for cereal and tea, as I'm not a big coffee drinker.

Further edit: I didn't see Bob S's post. It looks like Rice Dream is available down there.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Almond milk would probably harm me. I'm allergic to nuts. As for milk itself, no problems whatsoever. But I must admit that I may drink a bit too much chocolate milk. All that sugar may not be good for me...

Here's a possible reason why kids might not like milk. It's too sterile.

Twenty-five years ago, I worked on a dairy farm where we drank the milk that was stored in the refrigeration tanks. No pasteurization whatsoever. And man was it ever good! And not fatty either since we grabbed it from the bottom of the tank.

Pasteurization ruins the natural taste of milk. Maybe the kids have a valid reason to avoid the stuff.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
When we visited the farm, my Grandmother used to give us unpasteurized milk virtually right out of the cow. I hated the taste of the stuff. I actually preferred pasteurized milk. To me, whole milk tasted gross.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
This may have been mentioned already. I have heard that adults should not drink too much milk. Ever since my childhood, I drink "skim milk". In Germany I buy 1.5% fat milk. My main fluid is a combination of water and ice tea. Currently in Germany, one cannot buy ice tea without sugar like in the US - I am sure that will come. I am a waste here in Munich - I am NOT a beer drinker! Years ago, I drank lots of orange juice but have learred that has a lot of sugar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks