What's new

Why do so many Corvette drivers drive so slowly? (1 Viewer)

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
Why do so many Corvette drivers drive so slowly?

It’s enough to give a great-grandmother in a Studebaker road rage trying to get around these guys.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
most of 'em are old? ;)
and the ones that aren't are probably so butt hurt from the insurance rates that they can't concentrate?

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I always figure if you have a real sport car, a cop will definitely write you a ticket if they radar you even a little about the speed limit.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Maybe it's because they don't have to prove to anyone that they have a fast car? Maybe they're just enjoying the ride in a nice car? Who knows and who cares? I run into all types of people driving slowly and I just go around them. And BTW, I own a Corvette, I drive fast, I'm not old and I don't pay a lot for insurance. :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
As a 100 mile/day commuter (for the past 10 years), I can say that the crappier the car you have, the faster the person seems to drive.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Jay, the Corvette driver is lost. There aren't any Corvettes in OK. He'll be gone in no time. :)

Why is California the only state where slower traffic doesn't(or refuses) to move right?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Because it's not??

Believe me, this particular annoyance is not exclusive to California. I experienced it in both Texas & Louisiana today. :frowning:

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I haven't noticed Corvettes being driven especially slowly, but imagine that they do have to be particularly careful in light of their "ticket magnet" status.

One thing I've particularly noticed on Central California Freeways is that Geo Metros are usually going faster than anything else on the road, perhaps they can be driven flat out and wind resistance limits speed before their little engines reach redline? I know this was the case in the 50s and 60s with regard to VW Beetles--ya couldn't redline the things in high gear so as a consequence people got 'em on the freeway and floored them and did not let up until they found an exit ramp.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

Oh no, it's spreading. I've road tripped nearly every state in the U.S. I have never had a problem on my Cali to Mississippi trips. It's such smooth sailing through Texas, I almost doze. Damn, that state is wide. :D

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
hahaha this man speaks the truth. I also drive a lot of miles a day delivering pizzas. It's always the trashiest cars that want to make it in front of me when 2 lanes turn into 1, or when their fartcan muffler impress the 15 year olds.

If I had a Corvette I wouldn't be driving fast all the time, that's just too... obvious. ;) I'd save it as a cruiser for the weekends.

Jim_F

Screenwriter

Around here, it seems like half of the minivan drivers think they're at the wheel of a Ferrari.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
AH! Don't get me started on the way some SUV drivers think their cars are like sports cars. It scares the hell out of me watching giant Ford Explorers whip around cars like they were in the Indy-500 while all the sports car drivers are hanging back, thinking "Damn, that's dangerous!"

Van Patton

Second Unit
Yes, I've noticed this trend too.

One nite about a year ago I saw this young teen out in a new Z06. We were both stopped at a red light. I have duel exhuast on my Toyota Tundra so I revved at him :D....he didn't do anything after it turned green. So I'm driving beside him and right around 35 mph he dumps the clutch and spins the tires and takes off in a blaze of glory.

It was great!!

Keith M.

Second Unit
I am a corvette z06 owner and the only reason I drive slow in local traffic is because there is always some chowder head minivan/suv in front of me riding their brakes. There is not enough room on the roads filled with suvs to open her up. Otherwise, I would be constanly riding on someones ass and playin w/ the clutch too often.

The other problem is the typical mustang or fart-canned honda driver wants to race, but what is the point.

I do however enjoy the freeways.:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Yes you better, since Car & Driver got a .98g measurement from the skidpad on a C6's stock street tires. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks