Why do so few people pronounce "Scorsese" correctly?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Colin Jacobson, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Most folks refer to the director as Martin "Scor-SAY-zee". However, whenever he says his own name, he clearly pronounces it "Scor-sessy". It's not just the general public - often folks who are friends and co-workers say "Scor-SAY-zee".

Am I missing something here? I can understand The Masses getting it wrong, but shouldn't those who know him pronounce it right?

2. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

I've often wondered the same thing. I think even on the current commercial for Shark Tale the voice-over announcer says "Scor-SAY-zee".

...But the same pronunciation thing goes for one of my favorite actresses: Catherine ZEEta/ZAYta Jones! I hear those variations a lot, too.

3. JonBoriss

JonBoriss Stunt Coordinator

I say Score sessy because that is how I hear him say it and I figure he would know how to pronounce his own name.

4. Chris Farmer

Chris Farmer Screenwriter

I've always thought it was Scor SAY see because I'd never heard him say it, and judging by usual English phonetics that seemed to be the most likely pronunciation. It's a tough name to figure out if you haven't heard it said. In fact, until now I didn't know the correct pronunciation and had just assumed the others.

5. Nick C.

Nick C. Second Unit

Sessy or Say zee, still a hack, either way [​IMG] It's not like people talk about him around the water cooler... general public probably hasn't seen him interviewed, much less see him say his own name.

Anyhow, tons more foreign, especially Oriental, names people butchered far more, like an Almodovar, Inarritu, Zhang Yimou, Wong Kar-wai, Tykwer, or Jarmusch

6. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Scorsese is the one saying his own name wrong. His beauty queen mother used to pull him into church and try to make him say his own name right, but he could not, and then his father, a boxer, would come and beat on him for hours. Finally a priest would come and command him to beat himself, and then forgive him his failures, as the young Scorsese sought out comfort in gangland New York and single mothers and documentary coverage of local music events.

7. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I was actually just thinking of what the correct way of saying it is last night. I used to say "Scor say see" but then I think I heard the correct way of saying it and just started saying "Scor sessy." Somewhere along the line, I got confused and forgot which one was correct.

8. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Speaking of Scorsese and pronunciations, I just got the Raging Bull SE, and I've come across at least three different pronunciations in this DVD set of the name of one of the boxers LaMotta fought in the film, Laurent Dauthuille.

Ring announcer in the movie: doe-TEEL

Narrator of newsreel coverage included on disc 2: doe-TOO-ee

Scorsese, in the disc 2 featurettes: doe-TWEEL

Maybe even more pronunciations are in store on the commentary tracks. [​IMG]

9. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

I can sympathize... my problem is worse, because I have native German speakers TELLING me that I am saying my last name wrong!

Perhaps we should just ASK him how it should be pronounced, and to hell with the "proper" pronunciation, whatever it might be!

10. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    In a similar vein, from Ralph Macchio's IMDb entry:

11. Lee-M

Lee-M Stunt Coordinator

----------------------
    Most folks refer to the director as Martin "Scor-SAY-zee". However, whenever he says his own name, he clearly pronounces it "Scor-sessy". It's not just the general public - often folks who are friends and co-workers say "Scor-SAY-zee".

Am I missing something here? I can understand The Masses getting it wrong, but shouldn't those who know him pronounce it right?
    ---------------------

Because not only are many people stupid, they are also stubborn.

Stubborn stupidity is probably one of the cornerstones of our great country...

12. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

One of my favorite musicians is Harry Nilsson. Few people can pronounce his name correctly, and I've heard numerous artists who spent a lot of time with him say, "Neal'-son."
    It's easy, listen to him say his own name OFTEN in his recordings (Pandemonium Shadow Show & Skidoo), "Nill'-son."
    Just like it's spelled!

13. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

I don't think that explains it. I can't imagine that so many of Scorsese's friends and co-workers are just "stubbornly stupid"...

14. andrew markworthy

Ah, there is nothing more amusing for a Brit than to hear Americans talk about correct pronunciation of 'foreign' names [​IMG]

In the UK, Brit film critics and those in the know pronounce Mr S's surname correctly but the general public are usually as bad as anyone else in pronouncing it.

15. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

This from a people who call cookies French fries "chips" and the meat products we throw away "dinner"... [​IMG]

16. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou

And you and others in this thread were always pronouncing it the right way, right?

Just the other night Leonardo Di Caprio referred to his director as "Scor-SAY-zee" at the BAFTA awards, if "Scor-sessy" himself doesn't care how people pronounce his name why should we?

17. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Exactly, Mr. "Chris-to-oo."

~T

18. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

Well, I didn't start this thread to excoriate those who don't pronounce it correctly. I really just hoped for some insight, like maybe someone who could cite an interview in which Scorsese said "either pronunciation is correct" or something. It doesn't BOTHER me that so many call him "Scor-SAY-zee" - I simply am curious to know why so many who know him so well pronounce it that way...

19. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    It'll tell you what I think it is Colin, the English and Americans love to twist or anglicize foreign sounding names to fit more comfortably with the way they speak, their particular dialect, it's not a big deal.

How many fans of Highlander know the pronounciation of Christopher Lambert's name is 'Cristof Lambear', for instance? Even if they do they probably never say it that way when chatting with their buddies. In Scorsese's case the two pronounciations are not that different, maybe thats why his closest friends don't seem to notice.[​IMG]

20. Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre Cinematographer

This happens a lot with Steve Buscemi as well. It's pronounced with an "s" sound, not an "sh" sound. This is how he himself pronounces it and according to the "Fargo" text trivia track, his wife is often corrected on the pronunciation when calling his hotel room. Similarly, Joel Coen incorrectly pronounces the name on the "Big Lebowski" featurette. Apparantly he was never corrected while working with Buscemi on 5 movies over an 8 year period.