why do so few FPS's have multiplayer co-op?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by EricW, Apr 20, 2004.

1. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

for me, games like Ghost Recon and RS3 shine when you can get online and play WITH your buddies, not against them. don't get me wrong - there's nothing like a good 8+ player deathmatch to get your heart pumping occasionally... but it gets old pretty fast. when my friends and i get together online for FPS's it's usually for co-op. 'Defend' on GR is a great way to play.

so why do so few games have co-op as an option? i realize it may be a band-width hog, but you can always lower the number of players (even max 2 or 3 would be okay) and lower the number of enemies. GR still has 45+ bad guys. RS3 runs smoothly.

yet Splinter Cell 2 doesn't have co-op and apparently the upcoming SW: Republic Commando won't have it. i'm not so sure about the upcoming GR2.

is it a programing limitation? graphics-executing limitation? bandwidth limitation?

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Great point. I've been wondering about this for a while now. Terrorist Hunt in RS3 is very fun in co-op mode. You make friends (or enemies) quick teaming up with other strangers.

Halo also had a very good co-op mode. I just hope they allow for seperate screens in the sequel. Split screen Halo was a drag on the eyes.

3. Adrian P

Adrian P Stunt Coordinator

This sounds pretty cool...

In an exclusive article, http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55290 dives into the XBox version of Doom and discovers some very interesting details about the multiplayer side.

"The Xbox version of Doom III currently in development at Vicarious Visions will feature co-operative online play via Xbox Live, according to word coming out of an Activision press event in California today. Our source on the scene reports that it "looks great" up and running, and that the four-player Live deathmatch mode is also quite something to behold."

4. Jonathan Carter

Jonathan Carter Supporting Actor

Well I know from my experience I only enjoy co-op when I'm playing with someone who is as good as I am at the game. With comp. mode though you can balance out the skill difference with health handicaps, better person can only use certain weapons, etc... The new 007 game was a perfect example of this. The co-op mode was good, but really required a great partner, especially since the game only gave you a certain amount of lives between the 2 people. If your friend keeps dying it's impossible to get anywhere.

Besides, the smack talk from competitive modes is always great.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Bleh!!! [​IMG]

What's the logic behind that? I'm gonna play RS3 now...