1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Why do receivers sound terrible in the store?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_Tho, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

I was testing the vr-6070 today at Best Buy, and it was hooked up to a JBL speaker system full size that is. Everything was setup correct on the receiver. I cranked StarWars up to 0deb on the dial and it did not sound very loud. The sound quality was not the greatest either it had a analog type sound to it. Thats the best way I can explain it. Is it the size of the area that makes it not sound that loud?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

3. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

So thats why in most stores the sound system areas are in seperate small rooms.

4. DonJ

DonJ Second Unit

Have you ever notice that almost all the Tweeters are pushed in and Best Buy, Circuit City, and sometimes at high end stores.

5. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

?????

First, there's the issue of whether a receiver (or power amp or preamp) even has a "sound" in the first place (it's an issue that has been debated relentlessly since the late 1960s). Second, the speakers will determine more than anything what kind of "sound" you're hearing. And, third, the demonstration spaces in nearly all chain-electronics stores are terrible.

7. Andy_SB

Andy_SB Agent

I agree with Jack - the "listening" areas at virtually all chain stores are horrendous. At my local Best Buy, all of their receivers are simply sitting on shelves with red buttons next to each of them which you press to select that receiver. They're all hooked up to some crappy-looking Sony speakers lined up in a row on the wall (presumably through some massive low-quality switching box).

Not only is the area completely unenclosed, but Best Buy itself is extremely loud inside. Honestly, I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference between their cheapest KLH and their most expensive Yamaha receivers in that environment.

Also, if a certain receiver sounds "quieter" than others, it could be because it's not hooked up/set up properly. When I was there, I noticed on some receivers that certain modes put out virtually no sound even just using the tuner. I went into some of the settings and in some cases people had set one or more of the channels as low as they would go.

- Andy