why do pre/pros cost more than recievers?

VinhT

Second Unit
I've always assumed that's just the way things are, but now that I think about it, isn't a preamp/processor essentially an extremely high-end receiver without the amp? And isn't a high quality amp the most important or costly aspect of a receiver?
Anyways, I'd like to know the reason as well.

Vinh T.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
They don't cost more than receivers, in the sense that there are pre/pros that cost less than some receivers.

On AVERAGE they do, of course, but this is because there are many very low priced, mediocre receivers for the mass market, and there are no pre/pros for the mass market.

Also, at the very high end, there are no receivers, because the market at that level wants separates.

Nathan Cook

Agent
so let me get this straight..pre/pros are marketed towards a small group of people. and recievers to the mass. so what about the actuall circuitry of a particular company say dennon. is the circuitry higher quality in their middle of the line pre/pro vs middle of the line reciever. im mean dont they use the same processing chips.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
im mean dont they use the same processing chips.
There's more to quality than just the processing chips. There are many other parts in the receiver - the power supply, the analog section, and so on. All of these will affect the overall sound as much as the processors themselves.

Having said that, if you're thinking about "is it worth it", that has been discussed to death recently, so a quick search should turn up a few long threads.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Even if you assume similar parts, it will cost more per unit to manufacture 1000 units vs. 100,000.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Greg:

Even if you assume similar parts, it will cost more per unit to manufacture 1000 units vs. 100,000.
But since the public has to be willing to spend that extra money, there must be a perceived advantage (real, or otherwise).

Larry

Nathan Cook

Agent
aside from the marketing and the speculation has anyone actually opened a reciever and opened a pre/pro of the same brand and compared the two. or even listened to both side by side (using reciever as a pre/pro)? is any one affiliated with an audio company and have inside info?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
l3randon39