What's new

Why do people seem to feel they HAVE to buy something on release date? (1 Viewer)

Bac Bradley

Stunt Coordinator
Bill J hit the nail on the head....

A lot of people buy from Best Buy and they are usually several dollars cheaper that first week in stores. If I order it online, chances are it'll show up several days after the release date.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I'm only getting the special edition of The Fellowship of the Ring
Me too...but I'm only getting it as soon as possible after I can get the first release. I will NOT be re-purchasing it, becuase it is a different release. It has four disks; the first release does not! Got it?! :D :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I've preordered a few times, but I don't think I've ever bought anything on the release date. Usually I'll wait until the weekend after the release date, when I know it will be cheap at the flea market. Just got A.I. for $15 on Saturday, for example.

And also the 2-disc Sixth Sense ($17), Willow ($12) and the 2-disc Cast Away ($13).

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I DON'T have to have it on release date because for one reason I can't afford it. Not everyone here has an exclusive hobby of collecting DVD's nor devote their life and last cent to a home theater system.
I also factor in that YES, they are cheaper on release day BUT I have to drive across town to get the title and I loose any savings with gas/petrol ($1.50 per gallon with a car that gets 14mpg) and aggrivation. You can always do competative price shopping online and get it as cheap if not cheaper than your local B&M if you are not a stickler about shopping with one retailer only.

Graham Michael

Auditioning
To the chap who mentioned Future Shop and A&B Sound are bad (reknowned) for "jacking up" the price after release week: There's no "jacking" up of the price going on - Future Shop and A&B sell these discs at *cost* for the first week - then the will usually bring the price back up to the MSRP, where a profit can be made.

Count your lucky stars that you get these discs damn cheap - and if you find them cheaper anywhere else after that first week - go to Future Shop anyway - they'll match that price AND beat it by 10% of the difference.

Anders Englund

Second Unit
Because I'm afraid it'll sell out completely and I won't get a copy... Ok, that mostly with titles that says "LIMITED EDITION".

--Anders

JoeDeM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
To the chap who mentioned Future Shop and A&B Sound are bad (reknowned) for "jacking up" the price after release week: There's no "jacking" up of the price going on - Future Shop and A&B sell these discs at *cost* for the first week - then the will usually bring the price back up to the MSRP, where a profit can be made.
They do not sell them at cost, I picked mine up at cost, and they are $10.00cdn over cost. EX A.I. was about $10.00 over, it varys from disc to disc.

Think about it they order 100's of discs so they can sell them at cost, I don't think so. If they are at cost why does Wallmart and Zellers always sell it for less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks