Why do people seem to feel they HAVE to buy something on release date?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Bardon, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

One of the topics that seems to creep up quite often here is woe about studios releasing too much on the same day. Now I might be crazy here, but is there any logical reason that you have to get all these on the absolute first day they're released? Take the Simpsons/Buffy thread-if they both came out at the same time, why couldn't you get one right away, and wait a month for the other one? Is that so hard to do? Unless something is a Disney product, nobody's going to stop printing a title after the first week-so why the rush to get everything right away?

2. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    One reason I can think of is that there are a lot of places that will have the movie at a good price for the first week or so and then jack up the price. I have found that Futureshop and A&B Sound are really bad for this.

3. Peter Overduin

Peter Overduin Supporting Actor

Actually, I think that I have a very mature attitude about this. I don't need to buy most of my coveted titles on release date...... I NEED THEM RIGH BLOODY NOW!!!!!

4. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I buy on the release date because it's a movie I don't want to wait any longer for (I wish DVDs would come out even faster) and the price is the cheapest the first week it's out.

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

That's it really: the week-of-release prices.
    If something, say a catalog title like The Bad New Bears series, is something I "desperately want" ("RIGHT BLOODY NOW! [​IMG] ), I am lately still trying to hold off buying it for a while if there's no discounts on it week of release.
    If it's at a sale price, though, like Say Anything for $12.99 is this week at Best Buy, then I'll get it the first week. Of course I have to keep in mind that this particular title is marked that same price EVERY DAY at Costco...so I really could have waited then, couldn't I have?
    Sometimes it just depends on how BAD you want it, too! [​IMG]
    But, often, if a title doesn't come out at a sale price or go on sale at some point, it might end up waiting until the eventual markdown! Secret Of My Success for example: I enjoy that flick a hell of a lot, but I never bought it on DVD when it came out a couple of Christmas's ago. I missed one sale for it at Best Buy, then another one at Circuit City. So I've waited, and this week it got marked down to an street price of about $15. As the song in that movie says: [​IMG] Ooooooooh, YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAH![​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

I buy just about everything on release date. Why not?

7. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

Probably because that is the soonest they can get it? :p)
    I agree with Peter... although I do feel a little greedy sometimes [​IMG]

8. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Usually I will watch everything I buy on release date within the week. It does depend on how much I get. Like I've already watched AI, Evil Dead, The General and City Lights (finally picked up those last 2), but didn't watch Bad News Bears or the Early Cinema box set yet. But I bought them all at the same time. That's usually how it goes for me.
    I always watch at least some of what I buy right away. And my "too watch" list is now down to 12 DVDs out of 650. That will go even lower over the next week. I soon will have no "backlog" of titles and will really be ready to buy and watch everything on release date. [​IMG]

9. Hakan Powers

Hakan Powers Stunt Coordinator

It's also something of a holdover from the "good old days" of online coupons. Pre-ordering a title was essential to getting a good deal.

Today, I pre-order less and less, most of my purchases come from online stores where this is less critical (a&b sound, dv-depot)

It's funny someone mentioned A&B Sound, my experience is the opposite - atleast when I order on-line.

10. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I always buy my DVDs on the release date at my local Best Buy because then they are usually 4 or 5 dollars cheaper.

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

The people who are REALLY suffering a lot from the "I want it ASAP" mindset are those who preordered from a company that claims it's releasing The Final Countdown. They've had their credit cards charged, but the disc is nowhere in sight, and the "release date" gets pushed back further and further.

12. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I like to pre-order many titles just because I can get them as soon as possible. (I did this for Citizen Kane, Snow White, and Airplane!)

13. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Since I buy the vast majority of my titles online, at times, it is imperative to pre-order. It is assuring yourself a copy. A popular film can/will sell out very quickly through an online retailer and once that title goes from In Stock to On Order, the turnaround time is sporatic at best. I could cancel the order and go to a B&M, but with my work schedule, it's far more convenient to have the disc shipped to my door.

Bruce

14. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    It's an old habit more than anything now. It used to be that pre-ordering something before it was released got you at least 40% off, and sometimes 45% or even 50% off. Then the price would change to something like 30% off after the release date.

15. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

My wild guess on this issue is that it breaks down to the following component elements:
    • Impatient desire. (usually manifested as "I want it NOW!")
    • Exclusivity. (usually manifested as "You mean you haven't seen it yet? I got that the day it came out!")
    • Boosterism. (usually manifested as the misguided belief that the publishing agency really appreciates the "love and dedication" shown to them by their "loyal fans" when what they really want is to move x units of product in as timely a manner possible)

16. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

It is a medical fact confirmed by Columbia Presbyterian, San Francisco General, the Mayo Clinic, and Johns-Hopkins that if I do not get both versions of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring on their respective release days I will spontaneously combust.
    [​IMG]

17. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

For me it's mostly the excitement of getting it. I'm looking forward to buying X and when it finally comes available I can't wait to hold it and "play" with it. This goes for other things than just movies.

Also, as others have mentioned, movies/cds are usually on sale for the first week so you save a few bucks buying right away.

Sometimes you get lucky and the release gets pulled and it becomes a collectors item. This has happened to me a few times.

And just recently I went in search of a book that came out at the end of January which I had been meaning to pick up but never had a chance. The wife and I hit both B Dalton and B&N and neither had it. I asked the clerk at B&N in case I was looking in the wrong section. She looked it up and said that they had over 1000 copies on order so it's clearly out of print. I turned to my wife, who politely tolerates my shopping which rivals hers, and said "See, this is why you buy things on day of release."

-paul

18. NeilEdwards

NeilEdwards Stunt Coordinator

I pre-order ALL of my DVD purchases. There have been times that I didn't and then the title went out of stock, then out of print and I had to pay a fortune to get it. Two examples: "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" and "Giant".

19. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

90% of the time I get titles I want in the first week, sometimes on release day. As has been stated before, both B&M and online sites tend to have better prices either as pre-orders or during the first week of sale. On occasion I will skip a title if it's first week price is the same as it's regular price, but this doesn't happen often.

Also, if I don't pick it up first week, it gets harder to buy for me (no matter how much I want it) because I'm getting what's coming out THAT week.

Perhaps I'm just addicted to shopping. But it's always nice to have a new movie to watch in the comfort of my home.

Then again I tend to go to movies on opening night too, so maybe it's just a holdover from that.

20. Jonathan Perregaux

Jonathan Perregaux Screenwriter

Jonathan Perregaux
    I'm only getting the special edition of The Fellowship of the Ring. I do not repurchase DVDs if I can possibily help it.