What's new

Why do people see pets like budgies, finches, rats and fish expendable? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
People get these pets, and when they die due to lack of care or whatever else, they just say oh well and get another one. Is it because they are cheap? If they took care of the animals, they'd see that they can get alot of enjoyment out of them and see that the animals can live a long time. It seems like alot of people think they don't live long, but they be surprised if they took care of them better.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Because they are heartless, careless, and unaware.

That's my opinion about most of them anyway. I also hate to see trophy dogs as the seemingly only companion of so many people. A lot of those dogs are treated pretty poorly too.

I do step on ants and spiders in the house tho, out of consideration for my wife

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Probably because those types of creatures are not thought to be capable of being emotionally attached to their owners as can dogs and cats. And, of course, they're easier to replace.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
I was sad when a goldfish died and I was in college. But not like when the family dog died. I would imagine, because dogs and cats live longer and you have more time to get attached. Also dogs and cat's vs fish and rodents have more personality and emotion so its easier to get attached to them.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I agree with Allen, dogs and cats have more personality so it is much easier to get attached to them, plus they can come to you, you don't have to always go to it. Cats and dogs are more like people(not really but..) and are different than fish, rats etc.

I was sad when my snake died when I was a kid, but not like when my dog died.

NicholasL

Second Unit
I think it's short for something like a "budgery guard." They are those $5 for one, colorful little birdies that you pick one from a thousand in the little pet store cages, and they usually come in 3 flavors - green, blue, or yellow.

Not only do dogs and cats have more personality, i think it has something to do with size as well. It seems that animals that are bigger you grow more attached to because they are more, as someone said, "humanlike." Not to mention, they are so much more intelligent.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Anyone who think Budgies don't have as much personality as a dog or cat, is either ignorant or not looking hard enough.

The problem I find with birds is, most people expect the bird to immediately start tap dancing when they first see them. Of course dogs and cats seem to have more personality because they show it off a lot quicker. In order to see a birds true personality, you have to pay attention to it and play with it. - it takes a while (which most people don't have the patience for). The same goes with fish - if you take the time to watch, you'd be amazed at how much personality you can see.

Too many people can't be bothered with that kind of attention and immediately think "This animal sucks, it doesn't do anything".

Instant gratification doesn't mean lack of personality.

StephenA

Screenwriter
What alot of people don't know is that parrots(budgies are parrots) and rats are very intelligent, and can get attached to people, especially parrots. Certain fish show a degree of intelligence too. It just aggrevates me when people show a disregard to animals because they don't show their feelings the way that people want, or they keep getting new ones because they didn't take care of the old ones right.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
rin,

Have you ever seen fish fight? It's amazing!

and Philip, Budgies can live to be 7 years old, and medium to large sized birds can live to be 25 to 90 years...That's MUCH longer than dogs or cats.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
I'm guilty of this with our fish (may they rest in peace). It was just really hard for me to get emotionally attached to them. They are also a lot of effort to keep alive, although I never purposely did anything to shorten their lives.

Our rats, on the other hand, are very personable and intelligent, and we are very attached to them. It will be a very sad day when they die.

rin

Stunt Coordinator
Nope, I never did see a fish fight but I had a pet rat when I was a kid whose name was(what else)Ben.
He lived almost four years and at the end came down with a respiratory problem that did him in.
He was a part of the family and I'll tell you, there wasn't a dry eye in sight when the vet told us that he wasn't going to make it.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I guess because something like a fish is just entertainment to watch, it doesn't provide love like a dog or cat.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I guess because something like a fish is just entertainment to watch
That kind of thinking isn't the best way to look at it. Even though they don't necessarily love you back, you can still have an emotional bond with the animal.

If you don't bother to attach an emotional bond, then you'll end up with the attitude that most people have and think that the animal is "expendable".

p.s. Steve, I'm not saying you are like what I just described, but there are a lot of people who are like that out there.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Count me guilty of not respecting goldfish and mice as true pets. These animals were the two primary staples for my horned frogs, when they were still around. I also feed crickets to my red-eyed treefrog, tiger legged leaf frog and leaopard gecko. Thats not to say I abuse the feeder animals before feeding...they always have food and water, they are just lower in the pecking order.

I know many snake owners who feed their snakes, rats, mice, baby chicken, and even rabbits. One man's pet is another man's feeder.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks