What's new

Why do people question you if you don't like certain entertainments? (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I have been allergic to chocolate most of my life. Telling most women that gets a reaction like "I would rather die than not eat chocolate".
I come back with how about I hit you over the head with a baseball bat (Not a Cricket Bat dammit) every time you take a bite .....see how soon you would keep eating it.
Some of them still don't understand!

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I got that as a kid all the time. I was the one in class who said, when asked, that I hated ET. I still do. To me, it's just not my cup of tea and I find the whole thing really tedious. But I would always get asked "how can you NOT like ET?" etc. Blah. Just because I don't.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
My wife is also allergic to chocolate. She gets dizzy and breaks out from the smallest little bit. Same sort of reactions for her.

Not really. Perhaps it is because we work shifts here. It helps that the people I talk to basically go to the bar all the time, or play PC games. I can talk PC gaming with them (even if I barely keep up these days). Even if I wanted to watch TV, I've worked 2nd shift for about 3 years. Not much on at 11pm-3am :D Between that and college, I don't have a lot of time. Even when I do have time, I play video games or watch movies/anime/etc over TV.

I watch a little TV-on-DVD (Dawson's Creek with my wife - we trade off, my choice is seasons of Babylon 5). We watch a lot of seasons of anime on DVD. I picked up Northern Exposure on DVD (although I've only watched 3-4 eps of it).

I used to watch plenty of TV in H.S. (when I wasn't reading). And I used to play turn-based strategy/RPG computer games while I watched TV. But that was long, long, long ago. I lost track with TV about the time I started college in '97.

I think that my real slide in watching TV came from the lack of anything decent. I absolutely detest all forms of quote-unquote "Reality TV" - and that's mainly what seems to be pushed these days. Typical sitcoms are WAY too predictable - same issue with mindless typical movies.

I shouldn't say I don't watch any - I do see some TV when I visit my wife at work - she works 3rd shift front desk at a hotel. But that mainly consists of either Adult Swim on CN or mindless VH1 & MTV. Occasionally some HGTV. - But I'm really visiting her - we aren't really watching it. Except for Family Guy. We always end up watching Family Guy.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Must have strong, foul, black, and more often than not nuked coffee for survival, don't drink any more but when I did hated beer (too slow, by the time you get a half decent buzz ya gotta pee constantly).

People are always bringing donuts and other baked sweets to work in the morning to pass around and I never touch the stuff, they wanna know why?

My worst is with my folks, who act like I'm some sort of luddite for preferring a manual transmission car. I'm 54 and they don't understand why I haven't "outgrown" the love of a slick shifter and buttery-smooth clutch engagement. It's as if I'm somehow UnAmerican.

Put me also on the list of guys with no interest whatever in organized sports like football, baseball, basketball, etc.

I also get a lotta strange looks when the conversation gets around to movies mainly because I am more interested in who the director is than who the stars are, and can name at least 2 other films made by the same guy who made the film being discussed. Today someone was saying how much they enjoyed Hellboy and I told them to rent Blade II, Mimic, Devil's Backbone.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Not having one shouldn't cause people to make comments like you're wierd, but being proud of it makes others feel like you may be trying to sound better than them. Maybe this is where the comments come from?

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member

You're not alone in this-I can't stand em. I just don't see the need to be THAT connected to the world. I did finally break down though and get an emergency phone for the car. I still resent having to pay that much for it (cost of the phone + min $10/month top-up), but it's a peace of mind thing for when my wife is driving alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks