Why do people question you if you don't like certain entertainments?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by John Kilduff, Aug 17, 2004.

1. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

While there are many entertainments I like, there are quite a few that I don't. I appear to be the only one who doesn't, though, and people often question me about that..

What do I mean? Take these 2 examples.

I think Nirvana and Eminem are overrated, yet pretty much everyone I know considers them geniuses with important things to say, and wonders why I don't like them.

I didn't get "Seinfeld" and it never really appealed to me, yet it's been called by many as the funniest sitcom ever made. I've been questioned for not finding the humor in it.

So, I know they say you should be your own person and not compromise who you are to get others to like you, but I feel really left out at times. It just seems so difficult to be myself.

Anybody have similar experiences?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I will admit that at one point, I did like Eminem.

2. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

I can't believe that you don't like Seinfeld!

Not that there's anything wrong with that. [​IMG]

3. andrew markworthy

If someone enjoys something then it reflects an aspect of themselves. E.g. people who like Seinfeld at some level feel a kindred spirit either in the characters or the writers of the show. Hence, if you say you don't like something, then in effect you are questioning an aspect of another person's personality and/or beliefs. Note that people are often not consciously aware of this.

Incidentally, John, I agree with your artistic tastes (though I do have a soft spot for Smells Like Teen Spirit).

4. John Kilduff

So...When they question me, it's because I unintentionally questioned them?

This is like philosophy, and I dropped out of college after a month, so I kind of have a difficult time with it.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I don't mean to question others.

5. andrew markworthy

Yes, basically. And it's psychology, not philosophy.

6. Michael Pineo

Michael Pineo Stunt Coordinator

A lot of it is herd mentality as well. A lot of people that say that Nirvana or Eminem are geniouses only say it because that is what everyone else is saying. I'm not saying that everyone who feels this way only does because everyone else does, but it does happen often.

The next time someone says that Nirvana (or Kurt Cobain) were geniouses, ask them why. I bet most people won't be able to tell you.

As someone who has played guitar, sung and done songwriting in bands of my own, I personally feel that Kurt Cobain is one of the most overrated musicians of all time. So you definitely aren't alone in that respect.

As far as Seinfeld goes, not all types of humor are for everyone. It definitely shouldn't make you feel left out. Especially now that the show has been off the air for a long time.

I think we have all been through similar experiences. I can't even tell you how many times I had to explain why I don't like beer when I was in college. Or now that I am a little bit older, I seem to be the only person who doesn't drink coffee. We all like what we like and that is the bottom line. I wouldn't waste any time worrying about it.

MikeP

7. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

No wonder people question you, you are obviously a very, very, very sick person.[​IMG]

8. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

When I tell people I don't watch any sitcoms because I think they are ALL idiotic they slowly move away from me.

9. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Sounds like a musician. [​IMG]

10. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Hey, I wouldn't waste a moment of your contemplative life on it, John.

People have different tastes. People respond to entertainment in a certain way. People are very quick to use genius when they mean talented. Overhype is the new American pastime.

I love Scrubs...brilliant show. My family hates it, and watches Friends. I don't get it. But it doesn't matter that much. It's just a TV show. The comedy works for me, and not for them. I love Seinfeld as well, but have intelligent, witty friends who share my sense of humor and dislike it. No big whoop.

As for some of your examples...Nirvana was the right band at the right time in the right place. Nothing wrong with that. I DO feel Eminem has a lot of talent and is a smart guy, but I don't care too much for the genre or him. I still recognize the talent without caring [​IMG]

But in the end, you don't have to agree (or disagree) with anyone. Like what you like. You don't even have to defend that opinion.

It's already yours,
    Chuck

11. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I wouldn't beat yourself up too much about this issue. Everyone enjoys different types of comedy or music.

Recently I've seen my wife and I have very different tastes in comedy. She can laugh her ass off watching Blue Collar TV and I find the humor very simple and boring, where as last week I purchased the Triumph DVD and I watched it and laughed my ass off and she finds the humor disturbing and juvenile. I like South Park humor and she likes Reba, go figure.

I believe as long as you have a civil conversation and back up your prefercence in why you don't enjoy the artist, you shouldn't have a problem.

Paul

12. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Why do they question you-because you're *gasp* different. Say what you want about "diversity", we live in a conformist culture. It's getting better, but there are still societal "norms" that many of us deviate from. Some other examples:

-I find pretty much all sports really boring and repetitive to watch (Hockey included).
    -I read comics-lots of em. This actaully gets fewer strange reactions than it did seven years ago, since comics have started to creep towards respectability.

As for some of the other ones addressed here, Michael, you're not the only coffee hater here (but I do love a good beer), Seinfeld started off strong, but quickly ran out of material, Nirvana might not have been all that musically talented, but their music was good, and I can't stand Eminem (or most new hip-hop actually).

13. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

They probably wouldn't move away from you if you just left out the italicized portion. (Of course, maybe you want them to move away.)

M.

14. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Count me in the non coffee drinking crowd.

This topic actually goes both ways.

A couple that I get a lot that are reverses of the how can you not like...

are

How can you like baseball? Its such a slow game.

How can you like wrestling? Don't you know its "fake"?

15. andrew markworthy

Or, 'How can you like baseball? We call it 'rounders' and it's only played by schoolgirls' if you're a Brit. [​IMG]

16. John Kilduff

Psychology, huh?

Well, that's another thing I wouldn't understand.

It does seem like the world is too conformist at times. Due to my disability, I have a hard time seeing shades of grey and complexities, so maybe that might also be coming into play.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Or maybe not.

17. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

I love this thread! I am not alone anymore!

I thought I was the only one who didn't like Seinfeld, coffee, beer, Eminem. Let me also add the Beatles to the list.

My take is that since most people like these things then it's the "norm" and if you don't then your not the "norm".
    Everybody else does, why don't you?

18. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Kind of like Soccer over here (that is if you want to see it played well and the schoolgirls happen to win gold medals).[​IMG] Yes the world's sport is but a nice leisure activity for our womenfolk, while our men make millions playing your "girl's" game.

(You asked for it, not me!)[​IMG]

19. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

(I know that you did not begin this one Andrew) Anyone who thinks baseball is slow, has never watched cricket.

20. Scott Tucker

Scott Tucker Stunt Coordinator

I like beer,Seinfeld,Nirvana,Eminem,Beatles,sports, and i drink black coffee everyday. However, i like coffee with cream and sugar better, so why don't i drink it that way. I must be so screwed up.