What's new

Why do people put their subs in the trunk? (1 Viewer)

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
The only reason I see for that is to disturb the peace. But HowTF are the people in the car supposed to hear it if it's in the trunk?!?!? I guess if there's no room in the back seat, then you can put it in the trunk and run a couple pipes from the backdash to the sub box so you can hear it.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Its bass!? Its just boooooom, booooooom, booooooooom, booooooooom. I find it annoying as hell when people are next to me and it vibrates my car.

To answer your question, where else would they put it??

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I have one of them $20 Bass Blaster subs they sell at Walley World. I put it under the front end of the very back seat in my 84 Toyota Van. I was very surprized the original stereo had a sub out on it. So, I used it. I'm planning on getting a better stereo and maybe an AMP for the sub. For now, I rewired the tape deck and hooked up a couple wires up to it so I can hook my Lyra MP3 player up to it. Hey, works pretty good. Lot better than listening to the radio.

Geoff S

Stunt Coordinator
Although I love bass, I hate most car subs. I like subs you can hear, that create a bottom for the music, and allow it to envelop you in a non directional signal that gives it feeling. The subs that just go BOOM BOOM BOOM are crap. They do disturb the peace (like I'm one to care about that), and I hate listening to them cause sometimes you can even hear the acutal music for them.

For the original question, bass is non directional, doesn't matter where you put it, you'll still feel it the same, whether it's behind your seat, or in the trunk. Trunk makes sense cause it has the space to take them without taking up in car space for seating or whatever.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
The trunk is still "inside" the car and you still get tons of cabin gain, even in the trunk. I actually love my car sub a lot. Some tuning and adjustments and getting it to work with the cabin gain can get it to sound great. Very accurate and tight too. Not like most cars that just boom real loud. Most car audio freaks just shoot for SPL anyway, but that was never my final goal. I always shot for clean deep bass that made the music sound better, not worse.

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
I agree with Jeff.The sub is just a small part of my audio system. I have external power for all four of my mid/highrange speakers and also invested in an external active crossover.The sound is on par with a lot of 2-channel midfi systems. With low 20hz bass to boot. Though due to the small space of the car with 200watts to my sealed sub and 30rms to the mid/highs I still can hit 120db+. I listen to anywhere from 75-95db on average.

Matt_Briol

Agent
I HATE it when people do that. You dont even hear the crappy boomy bass you just hear their trunk rattling really loud.

Angelo_Petralba

Second Unit
Real Name
Angelo
I HATE it when people do that. You dont even hear the crappy boomy bass you just hear their trunk rattling really loud.
This is what we call in the CAR AUDIO WORLD.BAD INSTALLATION ! !
I love to listen really loud in my car and I have a sealed Tempest (3cf). It sounds FANTASTIC and ACCURATE and NOT boomy at all. I can easily reach 135-141 DBs.
Try listening to Dire Straight Brothers in Arms at 140 DB and You'll be HOOKED!!
My PT Cruiser Set-up consists of
1 Adire Tempest sealed (powered by a bridged Autotek 700watt amp)
1 pair of 3 way 7", 4" and .75" Separates (powered by a cadence amp 300watts per side)
Believe me, this sounds Fantastic without RATTLES!!:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
FWIW, if the set-up is done correctly, those LONG TRIPS are very enjoyable!
Just my .02 cents
Angelo

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
Some people will judge a system by how much bass it puts out. I just a system by how accurate the sound it puts out. That it can produce each frequency accuratly. My van only has 4" rounds and I added a bass reflector to enhance the bass. I don't want something to make a pedestrian piss their pants when you drive by them. I want something that produces each frequency cleanly and accuratly. I do plan on buying a new stereo system for my van with some new 4" rounds. Damn, I don't even have any tweeters. Also, my right speaker is a little blown. The newer stereos probably don't have an amplified sub out like my stereo I got now does. So, I'll have to get an AMP for the sub. Although, I did talk to a guy at car stereo store and he told me he has a few stereo's in the store with an amplified sub out. If I can get a good AMP, I might add another one of them $20 subs from Walmart. They don't sound too bad. I just need a stereo with more power to make it shake better.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
A long time ago when I was a even younger youngster than I am now, I had a 74 Cutlass Supreme 442 with some bottom in the trunk. Everything else was upgraded as well, head unit, front/back speakers, speaker cables, power cable and battery. You guys need to take into consideration that what you hear/feel outside of the car is in no way representative of what is going down (pun intended) in the interior. The bass might be overtuned and sloppy but you would be unable to determine unless you were in the car. btw, all bass is boomy from a distance. As a bass signal travels the wave gets progressively larger causing the signal to degrade. It takes alotta watts to maintain a bass signal over a distance.
Rattles are totally avoidable.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
You'll probably here this when somebody stops next to you at a stop light when they got their music going.

Boom.....boom boom. Motherf**ker. Boom...boom boom boom. Eat some p*****!! boom boom.....boom. f**k. boom boom boom

LOL. You know what them rap songs are like. LOL.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I don't listen to RAP. It's not even considered music. It's poetry with drums, bass, and other crap with a number of F words.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Music to me is about detailed sound with no distortion and rattles. I can't stand listening to a car system where you can hear rattles on every bass note, it just bugs the shit out of me and totally takes my mind off of the music being played. I have a full Eclipse system with Eclipse 6.5"s up front and 6x9's in the back running off a 4 channel eclipse amp (45x4) and a Eclipse 8712 sub running off a 350 watt Eclipse amp. I havn't touched it in 2 years, why, cuz it sounds so bloody good to me. I get incredible SQ out of that system and poeple often think I have 2 12's or a 15 in the trunk. They are also suprised by the omission of ANY rattles, NONE. All the better

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Ken, I'm not sure how much you know about car audio but I'll ask you this. Would you put a cabinet with two 15" speakers in your backseat, therefore, effectively eliminating your backseat? Thus turning your four door into a two-seater? Doing so would immediately make your car a easy target for thieves.

Quote:

I don't listen to RAP. It's not even considered music. It's poetry with drums, bass, and other crap with a number of F words.
------------------------

BTW some consider ROCK nothing but noize devoid of music.

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
Try listening to Dire Straight Brothers in Arms at 140 DB and You'll be HOOKED!!
No, what you'll be is deaf. Even short-term exposure to those levels can cause permanent damage, and if you listen at volumes anywhere near that on a regular basis, you will have substantial hearing loss eventually.

Cam S

Screenwriter
BTW, Will Smith has NEVER sworn in any of his songs, he said his son listens to his music, so he would never swear. I say good for him.

peter a

Stunt Coordinator
ken-
have you ever listened to good rap? not the stuff on the radio... but groups such as del the funky homosapien, the roots, hieroglyphics, g love and the special sauce? your ignorant comments which may offend people here should be kept to your lame self.
peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks