What's new

Why do people feel the need to eat in movie theaters? (1 Viewer)

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
That's another thing I love about the Senator. They have popcorn, candy, soda, and THAT'S IT.
Bill, that's the beauty of having a chafeur (sp?). Granted, the chafeur is my dad, but what the hey?:D. They just extended LOTR:FOTR's run at the Senator by two weeks, so I'm gonna catch it at least once more.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
To me, popcorn is a part of the movie-going experience. This comes all the way from my childhood, when my Mom & Dad would drop us off at the Air Force base theater on Saturday afternoons. We'd get a dollar each, which covered admission, popcorn & a Coke, with enough left over for a candy bar to munch on while waiting to be picked up after the show!!

While I still indulge in popcorn (with water now instead of Coke), and the occasional box of Raisinets or Junior Mints, I agree about the other stuff. Nachos, pickles, hot dogs... nah, who needs 'em.

Yeah, it's expensive, but I consider it part of my entertainment budget. I AM careful to eat my popcorn quietly, however!!

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
What's wrong with everybody? Even the theater managers complain when I bring a tub of spaghetti to the theater to enjoy with the movie. They tell me I can't bring it in. But it's my right to eat a tub of spaghetti while I watch a movie! ;)
But seriously, considering how many films I see each year, I know people find it strange that I don't often eat during the movies. (The arthouse theater provides coffee and a muffin for morning screenings they host, and they'll also bring us sandwiches in the event that they are screening two back to back. That's pretty much the exception.)
There are some occasions when I haven't had time to get something to eat before seeing a film. This was the case recently when I attended a screening at the 30 screen AMC theater in town. I decided to bite the bullet and get one of the pizzas they sell. They told me it took 10-15 minutes to get it ready. What?! I realize they don't want to have a lot of stuff prepared because it will likely be thrown out, but I didn't have the time to wait. I went hungry.
Snacking is okay. In fact, it's probably better because it impedes them from talking, I hope.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Often when I watch a movie in the theater I get hungry and my stomach grumbles which makes it hard for me to concentrate on the movie. Therefore, I eat so I can watch the movie.

I almost never eat during a movie at home.

~T

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Interesting. Why is it that people feel the need to eat something whenever they sit down to watch a movie?
I mean, almost *everybody* does it, and as far as I can remember, it has always been that way.
Is it just a part of human nature to consume things whenever we sit idle? Or is it just a conditioned response that has been branded upon us by theater exhibitors?
People eat at circuses too, and I suspect that they ate while watching all manner of spectacle as far back as the Roman coliseum days.
Is it just because most people are gluttonous? That whenever they are not active or sleeping they are consuming something? Is it a metabolic issue? Does hunger just set in when you sit? Or is it just that people are in the mindset of relaxation and enjoying themselves, and they make a point to eat snacks and food they like as part of their whole 'enjoyable' voyeur experience?
I don't know.
But it's damn annoying when some moose sits down next to you with a "Hefty-Steel-Sack" full of popcorn, and grinds it loudly between her jaws throughout the entire film -while she bumps you on the arm constantly as she feeds by shoveling fistfuls of greasy popcorn into her mouth. That actually happened to me at the Edwards cinema over in San Marcos, near where I live. There was a whole family of carnies next to me, each sporting their own tall kitchen bag full of eats. I don't know how they managed to sneak in with those things, and I don't think Edwards sells a 96 Gallon size of popcorn.
These days if I go to a movie at the theater, I make it a point to try to go when I think it will be the least crowded. There are some exceptions, like when a new Star Wars movie premieres, or a new superhero type film, or big 'event' film opens.. Then I like to be with the big loud crowd that has fun (as long as the theater sound system is turned up loud enough to at least stay competitive with the crowd noise). It's not uncommon to see food flying through the air at such screenings, so I hardly mind the snacking in those situations :D But in general, I do not snack during films anymore. Ordinarily, I don't mind if others do it.. only in extraordinarily obnoxious doses like I mentioned above does it become intolerable. And I guess I can understand being annoying if you are surrounded by a bunch of nacho crunchers and plastic crumplers.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Come on, Micke, it's part of the theater institution. I get the huge ass "larger than a shopping bag" bag of popcorn and a small pink lemonade (which is still bigger than a large soda anywhere else) I like to eat when I'm watching stuff. I'm not noisy about it... but it's really the nature of the beast. Cellphones and beepers on the other hand...

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Popcorn doesn't have to be a loud food, but many theater patrons enjoy eating popcorn with their mouths wide open (one noisy puff at a time). SMACK, CRUNCH, SWALLOW. In between "crunches" they change the baby's diapers or discuss potential plot twists, talk on their cell phones, etc.

Four years ago a friend of mine put a dare on the table which stands unaccepted to this day: "i'll buy any of you a movie theater hot dog if you eat it."

Steve

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Adam, I agree that snacking is part of the moviegoing experience. But lately it's gone from snacks to "family size orders of fast food". When I went to see "ET", there was a family in the row in front of me (both parents, 3 kids), who had a HUGE tray of food, that they sat and snacked on for the first 20-30 or so minutes. It wasn't pop-corn or candy, ir was warm, fast food: nachos, cheesedip, chicken wings, pizza slices... it was a quite a mess. And yes, they had to pass the stuff around too. It just didn't seem very comfortable, they kept dropping little pieces of food, and so on. It really seemed like they bought it because they "had to", and since pop-corn is so damn expensive in these places, I think some people see more "value" in these "real" meals.

/Mike

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
As far as inflated prices go, the Harkins Theatres chain here in Phoenix sells a "Souvenir" cup that is about 32oz for $3.50. Then for the rest of the year if you bring it back you get refills for $1.00. That's pretty decent if you ask me, especially if you go as much as I do. That and a medium popcorn (occasionally a pretzel) are all I get.

I usually get up to go to the bathroom once (twice if the movie is LotR length). Why are people so intolerant? As long as you aren't talking during the movie and don't have a screaming child (especially in an R rated movie) I'm pretty mellow. I almost always go to matinees and sit on the outside or an empty row. If I can't get that I just don't go to the bathroom.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Bill, that's the beauty of having a chafeur (sp?). Granted, the chafeur is my dad, but what the hey?. They just extended LOTR:FOTR's run at the Senator by two weeks, so I'm gonna catch it at least once more.
I have to drive myself and I park in the Staples parking lot across the street. I haven't been there since summer, when they showed Apocalypse Now Redux.

R

RossTerry

am i the only one to smuggle in contraband?

bottle of water or soda and a bag of candy

half the price than at the theater

Guy_K

Second Unit
I smuggle in reeces pieces into the theater occasionally. I have no moral dilemna with this like some do.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The Hoyts theaters near me recently posted a sign saying that no bags of any kind (backpacks, duffel bags, large purses, etc) will be allowed into the theater. They claim security issues, but everyone knows it's really to stop people bringing food. I bought a medium popcorn and a medium soda the last time I was there: $10.14 It's a bit less at the theater I usually go to. But I can't resist, it's just not the "movies" without popcorn. And I also consider it part of my entertainment "budget" so it doesn't bother me too much.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I usually avoid movie snacks. I figure I can always snack before or after the film, and it'll likely taste better, be healthier and more nutritious, and cheaper than the theater stuff.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
My brain keeps saying to me, "Dome Vongvises, you're going to stay away from the overpriced things at the concession."

Then my stomach talks to me, and I get a large popcorn and drink. That explains why I'm broke all the time.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I budget for a large popcorn and drink as a matter of course. I buy them even if we've come straight to the theater from a dinner out. I've never tried "real food" in a theater.

I am ashamed to admit that I'm still a very heavy smoker, and munching popcorn and sipping soda keeps my hands busy and allows me to comfortably go 3 1/2 hours without a smoke. It is possible to eat popcorn and sip soda quietly.

I always select a seat on the aisle so as to create the least possible disruption for a potty break.

I'm old enough to remember some real feasts at drive-in theaters, used to bring in an icechest full of goodies hidden in the trunk. I've seen folks come to the drive-in in pickups, park backwards, setup lawnchairs in the pickup bed, and actually barbecue burgers and hot dogs on portable grilles during double features.

At home, I always eat dinner while watching the special features on a dvd, but like to give my full attention to the film itself.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I went to LOTR for the fourth time at the Mann Chinese 6 in Hollywood today. There was some guy sitting behind me eating something that made a faint snapping noise, punctuated with a strange sort of sucking-popping sound -- all through the movie. At first I thought it was popcorn, but it wasn't quite that kind of noise.

Finally I realized -- the asshole was eating pistachios. Sucking on them, then breaking them open and eating them.

It was very faint, but it was constant, throughout the whole three hours. My friend Andrea told me she encountered someone doing that during a movie, too, back in Seattle.

To anyone reading this who has an ounce of common courtesy -- PLEASE DO EAT PISTACHIOS IN THE MOVIE THEATER.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I only have a soda, candy, and popcorn. I don't understand why people need bon bons, hot dogs, nachos, or whatever else they serve nowadays. Stick with the candy, popcorn, soda, and water. Either eat dinner or lunch before or after the movie, not during it because it's annoying and very messy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks