Why do NYers hate Newark Airport?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Adkins, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    I just got back from a trip to NYC and I just can't get over how much easier it was getting from Newark Airport to Manhattan. To get a better fare, I flew into Newark and out of JFK (don't ask me why, that's the story I got from the travel agent). I'm sorry but I just don't understand why people in Manhattan prefer JFK....it was a royal pain in the ass and took twice as long to get to. I took a train out of Newark Airport to Penn Station in Manhattan that took 20 minutes. My train ride to JFK was 35-40 minutes, then we had to get on a shuttle bus that stopped at several remote parking lots before dropping off at the terminal. Even by cab, JFK has to take longer doesn't it?? I'm not sure of the exact mileage but it definitely looks farther on the map I have.

In the past I have flown into LaGuardia a few times. I always took the Carey bus, but even that took longer than my trip from Newark.

So is it just the fact that it is in New Jersey or is it just that it is perceived to be farther away??

Jeff

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Well, Newark is real popular for the NJ folks... but because of that there are always alot of departure delays from Newark. I think more so than JFK. It's getting a bit better from the news stories that I hear but I'm sure the perception is still there for people around the area. It also depends on the airlines and stuff, certain airlines are bigger than others in the tristate area so the cheaper fares may favor one airport over the other.
    What also is true is familiarity, one thing that is stressful is stuck in some airport, having to run to catch a flight and not knowing where on earth you are going. (Kind of like the Amazing Race 2 [​IMG] ). New Yorkers I'm sure are more familiar with JFK because their parents went there, the public transportation is more established there (at least when/if they ever do that train idea from midtown [​IMG] )
    Jay

3. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

Jeff:
    I don't think NYers hate Newark, but it is further away than JFK and LGA. Don't forget, Manhattan, where you went is not representaive of NY. Most people live in the outer boroughs (Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx) and for them LGA and JFK are much closer.
    Actually in my neighbourhood, there are a lot of pilots and stewardesses that live here, as either JFK and LGA is only 20 minutes away. The stewardesses make for a great "bar scene" too [​IMG]
    The good thing about Newark is that we usually get cheaper fares if we fly out of there.
    If I would have to pick an airport that I hate is LGA. That place is a mess ... always delays, mostly due to the fact that it only has 2 runways.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Jeff, you're seeing a much-improved Newark Airport. The expansion project has progressed to the point where you can now enjoy some of the benefits. Not so long ago, construction on the roadways made passengers pickup and drop-off a nightmare.

In addition to Aurel Savin's point about the outer boroughs, there are special factors for Manhattanites. It's not just a question of distance. The most difficult and unpredictable part of an airport trip is getting out of Manhattan (or in, if you're arriving). You're at the mercy of city traffic and the situation on the various bridges and tunnels. Although it's hard to generalize, I'd say that the Lincoln and Holland Tunnels (the usual routes to Newark from Manhattan) are more prone to major backups than the Midtown Tunnel and the Triborough Bridge (most common routes to Kennedy and LAG).

Crosstown traffic is also a problem, and a lot depends on where you're leaving from. I live on the Upper East Side; if I'm flying from Newark, I generally allow an extra 20 minutes or more to get across town.

M.

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Got stuck out at Newark for several hours last year after my flight out of LGA was cancelled. Though the commute from Manhattan to Newark was faster than from LGA to Manhattan, that was about the only redeeming value. There was nothing to do at the airport to pass time. Thankfully it was a Sunday and I was able to immerse myself in the NY Times. Then after pushing back from the gate, we were stuck on taxiways for damn near an hour before we took off. [​IMG] And this was a Sunday night, not a weekday morning when all the flights are bunched together.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Departing flights out of Newark is always a problem. Last year when I flew out to Alaska to bike from Fairbanks to Anchorage, I think we sat on the stinkin' taxiway for like an hour at least. The pilot would update our position which was something like 19th in line all going to the same runway.. ugh. What's even odder/funnier is that it doesn't seem to affect the arrival times that much. Of course, when we were an hour behind, we arrived in Chicago about 1/2 hour late but more often then not, the standard delay in departure must be accounted for in the scheduling and airspeed as we seem to always make up time in the air or the delay is built into the scheduling..

Jay

7. Jefferson

Jefferson Supporting Actor

Yep......LGA is closer to me, so Newark would be much farther out of my way. Realize too, that the handy shuttle from Penn station is a brand new deal. Wasn't so handy before, and much longer than 20 min. to get there.

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you are in Manhatten then Newark makes sense but for Brooklyn/Queens folks, JFK or LGA makes more sense. I have been through Newark a couple of times and it is less hassle than JFK, yes.

9. Aurel Savin

Aurel Savin Supporting Actor

I sometimes think the reason there is always delays at Newark is because the runways are part of the Garden State Parkway / NJ Turnpike [​IMG]

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Close!! I know a bunch of them are parallel to the NJT, in fact, you can watch traffic on the NJT while taxing to them and can see the big IKEA and ToysR'Us across the turnpike in Elizabeth...

And at the toll booth from NJT, (13A???) you can sometimes see jets coming in for a landing too.

Of course, I always take Rt78 to Rt 1-9 to get there, no tolls and less traffic and easier to get there than from the NJT which makes you seemingly go in circles after you exit...

Jay

11. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

for the last few years, the traffic surrounding Newark has been unbelievably bad because they decided to rip up the whole airport at once. So when planning when to leave for the airport you had to allow alot more time, etc, even if you only lived 15 miles away.
    As far as cheaper, my experience with cross-country flights and to/from the midwest is that Newark is more expensive than the other two. Maybe thats just because I'm from NJ and they know which one is more convenient for me. [​IMG]
    Some of you should come out to the West or Midwest and live nowhere near an airport for a while. When I was in CO, I would have something like a 4 hour drive home, after a 4 or 5 hour flight. Add all the boarding, parking, waiting, and you've got a long day.

12. Kim Donald

Kim Donald Stunt Coordinator

Kim Donald Houde-Martens
    When I lived full time in NYC I lived in the Village and always tried to book out of Newark when possible, I could take the Path Train to Grand Central Newark and then the bus to the airport, Most people who live in Manhattan don't need a car and this is much easier then the subway and bus to JFK or paying for a cab about 25 dollars.
    kd

13. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Well I live in Minnesota, and the only NYC area airport I've been to is Newark. It must be because I'm used to the MSP airport, but the Newark airport was nothing to write home about. There was almost nothing to do while waiting for your flight.
    But that could just be me [​IMG]
    Brian

14. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

hey that Minnesota airport was sort of cool. Especially watching a plane land right next to yours. (paralell runways)