What's new

Why do NFL teams keep giving Ryan Leaf a chance? (1 Viewer)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
It's not like the guy doesn't have talent. He's an excellent athelete and obviously must be doing very well at tryouts and mini-camps. He has all of the skills. I think his biggest problem is his head and his mouth.

I think the NFL pressure got to him big time. He's also too cocky and runs his mouth too much. I don't think he like playing in San Diego and he showed it by making poor decisions.

Denward

Supporting Actor
Remember that when Leaf came out, it was pretty much a toss-up between him and Peyton Manning as to who would go 1 and 2 in the draft. The guy must have the skills but hasn't been able to produce in the NFL.

ikiru

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan Leaf is an exceptional athelete. However, he is not very good when it comes to the mental aspect of the game. Im not saying he's dumb, but his decision making process is not at NFL standards (theres a lot of thinking required in a small amount of time before 300lb linemen introduce you to the turf).

Leaf would make a good backup QB where his role would be lessened. If you can get him for cheap, why not?

-ikiru

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
After being cut yet again, I think it may finally be the end of the line for the childish, mediocre, overrated Leaf.

Denward

Supporting Actor
I surfed over to nfl.com and reviewed a few recent drafts. Other big busts in the past few years were Heath Shuler (#3 in 1994), Ki-Jana Carter (#1 in 95) and Rick Mirer (#2 in 93). I think NFL drafting has always been very difficult, especially for offensive skill players. There are an awful lot of All-Pros who get drafted in late late rounds, not to mention undrafted free agents. This rarely happened in the NBA which is why they only have 2 rounds now. I think the least predictable is baseball which is why they have a lot of rounds in their draft.

Darren H

Second Unit
Remember that when Leaf came out, it was pretty much a toss-up between him and Peyton Manning as to who would go 1 and 2 in the draft.
About a week before that draft, I saw an interview with a sports psychologist (can't recall his name) who now makes a nice living as a consultant to professional sports teams. He claimed at the time to have discovered a "formula" for analyzing prospects -- a formula that factors athleticism, intelligence, and psychological profile. I only remember the interview because, when asked about the Leaf/Manning debate, he predicted with considerable confidence that one would be a star and the other would be a bust, but he refused to say which was which. I'm pretty sure that he was on the Colts payroll at the time.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Why do NFL teams keep giving Ryan Leaf a chance?
Well, technically, only two teams have given him a chance -- San Diego, who drafted him, and the Cowboys, who signed him to a low-cost no-risk contract.

Considering how thin the talent is at the QB position in the NFL, Dallas had nothing to lose in giving Leaf a shot. That being said, I doubt that Leaf has what it takes to succeed in the NFL. As someone else mentioned above, the quarterback position at the NFL level is as much about being strong mentally as physically -- all the guys at this level can throw the ball. The ones who succeed excel at the mental aspects of the game -- reading defensive coverages, calling audibles at the proper time, staying calm while a 300 pound lineman is running at you trying to take your head off, etc.

If the QB position was only physical, Scott Mitchell could have been a superstar.

Another huge draft bust to add to the list is Tony Mandarich. The Packers chose him at the #2 spot, one pick after Dallas took Troy Aikman and just before Detroit took Barry Sanders.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for bringing that up, Scott! :)
Ryan Leaf is just a head-case. Head-cases might get by one or two seasons with their talent, but in the end, they are their own demise. I wonder if Leaf and Jeff George sit around talking about the good ol' days.
Bruce

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Well, I'm from San Diego and a life long Charger fan but needless to say I wasn't a huge Leaf fan. I am glad he's gone. In his defense I must say his lack of success in San Diego was not all his fault. When he was here, the Chargers simply were not very good on either side of the ball. I don't think Manning would have faired much better. What I do solely blame Leaf for is alienating most of his teammates and fans from himself. There's no excuse for that.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
No problem Bruce. :)
Jeff George, mentioned by Bruce, may be the best example to support my opinion. He had one of the best arms in the league, but didn't understand how to run an offense, nor did he care to learn. Mix in a huge attitude problem, and George was a disaster. The quarterback is supposed to be the team leader -- but neither George nor Leaf are capable of doing this.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad to see Leaf get let go again. His attitude was pathetic and he clearly doesn't belong in professional sports. I recall that time in KC, he went there thinking playing in Arrowhead was no big deal, and that KC wasn't a good team (this was when they still were).

Speaking of famous flops, whatever happened to Todd Marinovich? That guy was as big an overhyped loser as there ever was.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Well, I attend the college that Leaf attended. My first year here was his last. We actually went to the Rose Bowl that year!!

I thought Leaf was awesome that year because he did great things for our team. I met him on campus once and he was quite nice to me. I hoped he'd be taken first in the draft.

However after he was drafted and I started hearing his sound bytes I quickly leared what a mouth this guy has. I dont know if he was the same while he was in college and they just covered it up when they could or if he got a big head when he was drafted. Probably both.

One thing I remember happened about a year ago. A friend of mine was in one of the local bars and Leaf came in. He was visiting campus for the weekend or something. Anyway someone was giving him shit and the started spouting off how he could buy and sell everyone on the campus.

Man, I've never seen anyone fall quite like Ryan Leaf.

-Marshall

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
Well, technically, only two teams have given him a chance -- San Diego, who drafted him, and the Cowboys, who signed him to a low-cost no-risk contract.
I think he at least tried out for the Bucs last year or the year before. It says a lot that the 'Boys went with Quitsy Carter over Leaf.

I think that I would consider Rae Carruth the all time biggest draft bust ever. Not only did he not "put his years in" but he did a tremendous amount of damage to the teams image.

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
According to the Seattle PI, Leaf is now a Seahawk. Just when I was starting to warm up to the local football team (I've been a Chargers fan for around 20 years). Unfortunately, now I'll get to hear about this for a few days at least in all the local media.

Aaron

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
Leaf would make a good backup QB where his role would be lessened.
Not sure how you figure that. The Cowboys are still hanging on to like 4 QBs, none of them you've ever heard of pretty much, and they chose to dump Leaf. And it wasn't a matter of salary, either, I think he was working for peanuts by NFL standards.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I wouldn't consider Leaf a good candidate to be a backup, either. Generally, teams look for someone who has experience, knows how to run an offense, and makes very few mistakes to fill such a role. They will settle for a lesser athlete to get these traits (because there are not enough quality QB's to fill one spot on every NFL roster, let alone for excellent backups). Leaf does not qualify on any of these characteristics (except for having a few disasterous starts in San Diego).

I forgot about Tampa signing Leaf before Dallas. I don't think the Bucs hung onto him more than a week or so, though, and I do not think he ever suited up for a game.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
If I'm not mistaken, Leaf was being paid the league minimum for someone with his experience.

As a long time resident of KC, I hope Seattle did pick him up. That'd be so damn funny. Plus if he played, that'd give KC two easy wins.

Ryan Potts

Stunt Coordinator
This news just adds one more insult to the saga that is Seattle. I am a fan, just not as much of one as I was before they announced that wonderful shakeup that moved 'em to the friggin' NFC.

Now Holmgren goes and does this. I want to be upset, but I just can't....

Now it'll give the whole NFC a chance to win, if he plays (assuming he even makes it in the first place.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks