What's new

Why do modern electronics greet you? HELLO! I AM YOUR DVD PLAYER! (1 Viewer)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I've been meaning to post this for a while...

Why do modern electronics kind of "talk" to you? You know, say hello and stuff.

My Panny CP72 always had this irritating WELCOME TO DVD WORLD run across the LCD when I pressed the on switch. I always was hastily waiting for it to finish so I could open the tray.

My replacement DVD player (my Zenith DVB318) says HELLO

If I recall, my old Kenwood CD player in my car said something like that to.

As Seinfeld would say - "What's up with that?"

Anyone have any thoughts? Any silly things that your Electronics "say" to you ?

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I programmed my cell-phone to tell me : "Dance like a monkey!" instead of the usual "welcome". adds a little character to the thing.

I can't think of anything right now that tries to talk to me..

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
My ex's new Samsung tv plays a merry little tune every time you turn it on, and most of the 9 or 10 dvd players I've had ran some kind of greeting.

"Welcome to DVD World" on the CP-72 is one of the silliest though.

At least the 80's trend toward talking cars never caught on.

As an aside, everytime I log off MSN and the lady chirps "GoodBye!!" my little dog jumps up and wags her tail in anticipation of getting some attention.

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
My Panasonic Microwave oven admonishes me "Enjoy your meal". Some technophobe in marketing must figure this is how you make an appliance "user friendly" .

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My car stereo does this too.

I always think of the Simpsons Halloween episode with the robotic house. It would be neat to customize the message settings...Each setting would display a different message when you turned it off:

Valley Girl: "Like, I'm Outty!"

Redneck: "Y'all come back now, ya here"

Instant Message: "L8R"

Candian: "Take off, eh"

Nelson Muntz: "Smell ya later"

:DBut what if you weren't heating up a meal? What if you were just boiling water or melting butter????? :D

Pamela

Supporting Actor
My Panny RP82 and car stereo give me a welcome message. I think the reason they do this is because technology can be so foreboding and so cold. Attributing human characteristics to technology makes it a little more friendly and inviting.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
My Panny greets me too. I just say "damn straight, biatch", then insert the disc :D

John Watson

Screenwriter
because of the idiots in design

some years ago cars were designed that verbally reminded people to use seat-belts

seems enough people found it as irritating as a nagging spouse that the preactice came to an end

most of the home technology I see builds in about everything irritating it can think of

it's for the kids ya know

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
Look it up in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy or better yet ask Marvin (The brain the size of a planet and you want me to explain what?)

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Now if I could flash the Eprom to read something like :Brent L owner call 905-555-1212 if you find this DVD player" I'd do it in a second.

Brent

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus

That's funny as hell!

My dvd player says "Welcome to Toshiba home dvd" and the lcd screen isn't that big so that shit has to scroll, it get's on my damn nerves!!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I have a Samsung VCR that says "HI" and "BYE". It irritates me because it just seems cheesy. I'm not looking to make a friend here, I just want to put in my kid's Disney video!

I have a new microwave that bugs me... I was trying to figure out how to set the power level to cook something and a message scrolls slowly one word at a time:

THE.............POWER............LEVEL...........C AN.........NOT...........BE...........SET......... ...AT............THIS............TIME

:angry: A simple buzzer would give me the same amount of information in a fraction of the time.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
My DVD player says "Goodbye", as does my cell phone. Nothing says "Hello" though. Guess I just don't rate. ;)

StephenA

Screenwriter
When my mom was married to my stepfather he had an annoying alarm clock that used to piss me off when it'd go off. It'd do this little tune and then say "the time is 5:30 AM" or whatever it was set to, then preceed into the tune again. My stepfather was a heavy sleeper, so the thing would be going off for like 45 minutes. Sometimes it'd wake me up through the wall and he'd still be sleeping with it blaring in his ears.

The closest thing I have to any of this is my bird. He says hello, bye and whistles at all different times, especially when I don't expect it.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
Hello Dave, My name is Hal 9000. I was invented in 1992. My teacher taught me a song, would you like to hear it?

HI JACK!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks