Why do manufacturers offer different features for different regions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel Becker, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

It was recently brought to my attention that Sony offers their 20" and 24" Wega's with a 16:9 mode in Europe and other regions of the world. Yet my 24" Wega doesn't have the option anywhere!

Why on earth would they remove/add a feature like this to one region and not another? The cost off adding such a button to the remote could not be enough to cause such a change. Do they really think the european customers are that much more savy that they'd demand such a feature? I doubt it. I just about blew an o-ring when I heard the feature that I wanted on my tv was actually on european models of the same set.

Dan.b

2. Ben_Hud

Ben_Hud Stunt Coordinator

target marketing is the simple answer. in the US alone there is 56 seperate noticable markets which manufactures talior features of products and advertising runs. They adjust features or promos to optimize sales in that area. blah blah blah, i guess people just aren't demanding that feature enough in your area. in us, most familys have a cheap 27+ inch set or or better for their main, alot don't seek the feature on smaller models that they would put in studys, dens or bedrooms. (from here on out is an assumption)on the other hand europeans don't watch as much tv, thus they buy smaller televisions, thus to compete compedativly in the market they have to add extra features so sell the sets. ... im sure ya get the idea

3. Bill Buklis

Bill Buklis Supporting Actor

Bill Buklis
    16:9 images and hence 16:9 televisions are much more prevalent in Europe than here in the United States. So, to answer your question "Do they really think the european customers are that much more savy that they'd demand such a feature?" The short answer is: yes, they are. Without this feature the TV would be a much harder sell in Europe. Here in the states they can get away with out it. Sad, but true.

4. Derek1

Derek1 Agent

For what It's worth there would be many differences in the two tv sets not simply the exclusion of a feature.

A Europen model would be PAL not NTSC for one. It would have a different tuner, and probably a SCART.

The end result is two entirely different tv's from planning to design to production.

If you think sony has some good stuff at Sony Europe then you should see the stuff atSony Japan

Alas we may be region 8 for products but at least we are region 1 for DVDs!

5. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

I'm am almost sick to my stomach after visiting that European Sony site. They have so many cool options and different sizes it's making me angry that they're not offered here. [​IMG] I can't believe they wouldn't offer some of those sets here. They've got widescreen tube sets starting at 24"!!!!

I also noticed many of them are listed as 14:9. Does anyone know what thats all about?

Dan.b