What's new

Why do I live in a cold climate? (1 Viewer)

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Two days ago it snowed 24" in one day and now this morning it is -28 degrees (without windchill). I don't even like the cold or anything to do with it! Hey, looking at the bright side, some of the ski resorts where the Olympic events will be held in under 2 weeks received around 50" of the fluffy white stuff.

Kyle-I want to move to Florida-Richardson

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Forget Florida, come to Toronto to live, 30F today (it got colder) but only 4" of snow all winter. I love it. All we need to do is explode the right yield of nuclear weapons to rotate the earth a bit nd put Toronto closer to the equator.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
It's been around -30F here for last week and half, with the windchill taking it below -40F just about all the time. The part that really gets me is how many University students are walking to school in this tempature with their faces completely uncovered (some like my moronic roommate are just wearing earmuffs).

Paul Jenkins

Supporting Actor
well, yesterday was 75 in Plano, TX outside of Dallas. Of course, today is 45. Winter is like that here, a couple of days of 65+ sunny days in the winter, throw in a few cold days with frost/freezing rain, but generally not too bad :)
Having grown up in Wisconsin and having seen my share of foot-a-day snowfalls and sub-0 temp winters, I can say the south sure is nicer.
Of course, most people hate our summers when it is 100degrees++ for a couple months straight, but I like it.
Finally, I'm glad a lot of people like the cold/snow, because we have enough people here already, we don't need more :D

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I forgot to give an answer your question. People who live in cold climates live longer :p)
The cold preserves us better, eh ;)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Heat= bad

Is there anywhere on earth where is never gets over 80 degrees and is not -50 in the winter?

Hugh M

Second Unit
this is actually a bit chilly for here. 30F at night is not uncommon though. But the temps go up about 35-40 degrees during the daytime.
people that are either rich enough or lucky enough to live very close to the california coast( 5 miles), don't really need heat or air conditioning all that often.
San Diego, I would venture to say, has the best weather in the country.
here in the desert (see location

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Kyle,
The weather has been completely "upside" down. I heard there were quite a few people up in Logan who lost their car batteries over the last couple of days. Most cars sold around here don't come with engine block heaters - funny since the temperatures we've experienced as of late would make a Manitoban shiver ;).
Michael.
freezing in Davis county....

Hugh M

Second Unit
on December 22, 199x my girlfriend and I left the 8000 foot winter madness of CO during a blizzard (called that in most places, but goes unnoticed up there) -20F and snowing 2 feet and counting at the same time. Nice Toyota 4x4, that is/was very reliable. Temps didn't go a whole lot higher during the entire drive, and the weather was scary at best. But we were headed to IN and then onto NJ. Great time of the year for that. So Nebraska comes about 8 hours later (maybe longer) and it is still 0F outside. Stop to get something to eat in a very small town, and go to start the truck up and the alternator had died. Now if this happened close to our home in CO, we probably would have died. Or anywhere near wehere we were, except where we were for that matter.

Toyota's are not big in NE, so the parts had to come from about 200 miles away, and that took a couple of days. Walking around a small town in 0F temps is not the most fun. Especially when you have somewhwere to go.

finally got to IN, and the temps had finally got up to about 15F. Never got above 20F until we got to NJ. I have never seen so much bad weather as happened during that trip to and back from NJ. It was unbaleebable. On the way back it was worse, and trucks were passing in Iowa and blowing snow so you had to guess where you were going. Then in NE there was a constant 60mph crosswind for about 6 hours straight. Not fun when you have a high profile camper shell on the back and the road is covered in some sort of white slippery stuff. there was alot of tobacco and caffeine being used during that trip. It was just plain silly. We both quit are nasty habits though.

Did I tell you how much I love it out here! Windshield washer fluid lasts forever, and I don't believe they run out of road salt out here.

Darnit if I have to I'll make a little ice rink in my back yard, and when it gets down below 30 I'll try and freeze the sucker.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I've lived in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania all of my life and I love it here, but damn I hate winter. I can tolerate the cold weather--somewhat--but snow is outright depressing to me. I get severe cabin fever if it snows even one inch. Not to mention what winter does to my car, which I'm obsessed with keeping clean and neat.

I've been considering making a move to the south, not as far as Florida, but Maybe North Carolina to get away from this horrible winter weather, but I can't envision leaving PA!

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Tom,
The Carolina's are great! I actually live 5 minutes from the NC/SC border just outside Charlotte and I really enjoy living here. The Raleigh area is very nice as well and if you still like to have some winter weather then Asheville is a good area too.
Speaking of the Carolina's, Kyle you could always move here and help me make lots and lots of subwoofers. ;) Bye the way, how is that new sub coming? I haven't heard anything new about it for awhile.
Jeff, Heat=good...cold=evil:angry:
hahahahah :D
Dan Hine

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Michael,
I work near Logan so I know exactly what kinds of problems everybody was having. It hit a low of -31 on 2 different thermometers here at work. You dont even want to know how many frozen pipes we had yesterday!
Dan,
I have not had a chance to work on the sub any more lately. Too many other things going on that need to take priority (like doing my taxes so I can get my refund!).
Everybody,
Its feeling balmy today at 0 degrees :D

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Dan, I've been to Charlotte and it is a great city. It's so clean and new compared to Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is nice, but it's an old city and it's rather difficult to navigate through the city at times with so many one way streets and poorly planned roadways.

When I was in Charlotte, I was surprised at the number of Northerners there. I know that there are a lot of people who used to live in Pittsburgh, but relocated to Charlotte. In addition to the good weather, the job market is also much better than the Pittsburgh area which explains why so many people from the north have migrated there.

Daryl Furkalo

Second Unit
This winter has been so weird it isn't even funny. We finally had our first 'cold' days of winter in the last 2 weeks, -25F, but the week before that it was over 35F. Atleast now, the bugs aren't around, Manitoba has to be the worst place for that in the summer.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
When I moved to CA from CO, I originally thought I would only stay a couple of years. But I feel spoiled by this place. It grows on you....I went hiking in the Santa Monica mountains by Pacific Palisades last weekend, and it was warm enough to work up a sweat. Try doing THAT in January in most places :)
BTW, I once read that the weather in Long Beach is virtually identical to the weather in San Diego, which makes me feel good...in more ways than one!

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Texas, what ever came out of Texas. Other than Ozzy urinating on a National Monument!!! :laugh: I'm happy here in Florida though. The only other place I'd ever want to live outside this state is San Diego, Califonia.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks