What's new

Why do I keep doing this to myself!? RE: GRAN TURISMO 4. (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It's actually irrealavant now, I got rid of the game three weeks ago. I sold it to a freind of mine for $30 and never looked back. He's having a ball with it though.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I had the original Need for Speed for the now defunct 3-DO console. It was and still is imho about the closest thing to a realistic simulation driving game I've ever encountered. All the cars behaved exactly as the real ones did, down to the speedlimiter on the 94 Toyota Supra. The second Need for Speed was just as good but with more cars. Both had really good Pro Logic sound, so good you could hear crashes occur behind you even if you couldn't see them. Later editions in the series got farther and farther away from true simulation and more into phony arcade stuff.

The Gran Turismo series is actually quite good in GT mode as far as simulation goes, and GT-4's arcade mode is much less arcade-y and more of a simulation than is true of previous editions.

I just turned 55 and frankly don't have the hand/eye coordination to really do well with these games any more but still enjoy being able to sample the actual driving characteristics of so many cars I'll never get a chance to even see in real life, sorta fun to play with the Japanese Kei cars especially.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
when i first got GT3, i wasnt that great of a driver, i had a hell of a time getting used to it. then i get the DFP wheel in anticipation of GT4. i had a hell of a time getting used to that until i switched to the in-car view. all of a sudden it just made sense, and i was a good driver. i'm no jacques villeneuve, but i'm not bad either. making the switch to the DFP wheel and the in-car view made an enormous difference in my driving skill.

CJ

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

The Nissan Motul Pitwork Z. and I ran a 6.40 the 2004 Yellow F1 car on my first attempt. I figure I can get into the low 6's with enough practice in the F1 car.

Ive got quite a few cars that can run in the mid-high 6 minute range.

Jeff_Standley

Supporting Actor
Dont feel bad, I suck at GT games as well. I always buy them and figure out in a short time that I cant play them either. I love racing games, but I like the arcade style games alot better. Im also much better at these than GT. I loved the rally part of GT3, but it was so short that it left me wanting more. I cant get used to the realistic style of GT to save my life. I always go balls to the wall and try and powerslide around corners, lol.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i thought you could get to it right away. go to world circuits. maybe it is one of those that pops up as you progress, but i played the game quite a bit the first 2 weeks, i had access to everything quickly. and the only place ive heard it referred to as anything but nürburgring (or the ring) is in this thread. guess the first name just flows off the tongue more easily than nordschleife :)

CJ

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Sorry... im just used to their popular names...Nordschleife is the name of the track. Nurburgring is just the name of the entire racing facilty, which has more than one track. When I hear Nurburgring, I think of the shorter track that F1 currently runs on... Nordschleife is the name of long 12 mile track.

It calls it the Nurburgring Nordschleife right on the screen in GT4.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i know what the name of the track is, but i was just saying that not too many people refer to it as nordschleife, even though that is what we are driving on. since we only race on 1 track at the ring, i'm just used to people calling it nurburgring, or the ring. whatever you call it, it's a fierce course.

CJ

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I cracked off a very sloppy 6 min 2 sec lap at the Nurburgring with the F1 car. I think with practice I could run a 5:45, but to run those consistently very difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks